We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help. taking children and one is picky eater.

Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
help. taking children and one is picky eater.

planning a trip to iberostar tucan on feb. 26. we will be traveling with our 2 children, ages 10 and 7. the younger is an extremely picky eater, he lives on french fries, cheese pizza, mac&cheese, and chicken nuggets. can anyone who has traveled with there children remember if there was much of a selection for children to eat. is there one restaurant that was better for kids and should reservations be made every night. is there a certain building that we should request. are there certain childrens activities we should not miss. thanks in advance.

Oshkosh, WI
Level Contributor
483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help. taking children and one is picky eater.

About the food, your child will have no problem. They have fries, cheese pizza, and chicken with every meal. I always bring snacks from home in my carry on. LIke cheese crackers, cookies, ect. just in case.

As for the restaurants, I believe you can only have 3 per 7 night stay. We booked all of ours the first day for the week. This resort is totally geared towards kids. They have a mini disco everynight, ping pong, and other scheduled activities. I'm sure others who have just been there will help you with those. Good luck, you will have fun.

Lost
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help. taking children and one is picky eater.

I have the pickest eater in the world. He kept saying he's eat when we get home and lived the ENTIRE week on Saltine crackers (we stayed next door at the Gala and they even had the things I thought he would eat). After a few days I calmed down...let him eat the crackers and guess what? He lived and even had a great time. Don't stress like I did....they can live on a lot less than we adults can! Just go and have a great time.

Lost
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help. taking children and one is picky eater.

here's a site where you can see the layout of the Tucan/Quetzal. I was planning a trip there myself and found this site...

http://www.pbase.com/pgammon/image/29195635

If you don't have a portable DVD player now is the time to buy one. They are must-haves on airplanes.

Hi CariS....I know you're out there.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help. taking children and one is picky eater.

ERnurse: You don't happen to have a resort layout map for the Gala, do you? I will be there with my family Jan 22-29. Any other useful tips, room number suggestion etc?!!

P.S. I'm an ER nurse too!

Lost
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help. taking children and one is picky eater.

Hi SSD....the only thing I can help with re: rooms at the Gala are the Haciendas towards the back of the resort. I wrote a review 3/3/05 and tried to detail where the different buildings were located. Obviously you want one closer to the lobby and I would only want a ground floor room.

As far as any other tips....book the alacartes as you're checking in (actually you can only book one per day) and just have a blast! You'll love the Gala.

Oh....if you go to Xcaret, take your own taxi....don't book a tour. MUCH cheaper and you can be on your own schedule. Taxis are very easy to get both coming and going.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help. taking children and one is picky eater.

Thanks, ER Nurse

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: help. taking children and one is picky eater.

If they are really hungry, they will eat.

Lost
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help. taking children and one is picky eater.

Hey valt....haven't seen you for a while...

While I agree that the "if they are hungry they will eat" theory applies quite frequently, often times it does not as in the case of some younger kids. They get hungry but don't necessarily realize that's why their stomachs hurt and why they are so crabby. It can be a nightmare trying to get little kids to eat sometimes. Frustrating for moms who know that a little food is all their little devils need to turn into angels!

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help. taking children and one is picky eater.

I think you should be fine. Iberostar resorts offer a lot of food for kids.

I eat just like a kid. I eat fries, pizza and chicken nuggets while on vacation.

Breakfast offers cereal, toast and almost every food item you can think of. They even have a chef that will make you a fresh omlette or eggs.