We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Collegeville...
Level Contributor
345 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in January

Was thinking about booking a trip to Valentin Imperial Maya during the second week in January and was curious if you were still able to spend the day poolside or on the beach. We were there in May of this year and had a fabulous time and was hoping to return and haven't given any thought whatsoever to the weather til now, when it's time to book it ! It's either here or somewhere in Aruba and to be honest, I'd prefer the Valentin. If the weather is a bit chilly to spend endless days by the pool, I guess we'd either have to reschedule for later in the year or head to Aruba.

Nashville, Illinois
Level Contributor
336 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in January

my husband and i usually go to cancun/playa in january and the weather was okay. the temps seem to be 70-75 for a high, but sometimes the wind makes it cool. the evenings do get cool. yes you should be fine for sunbathing.

Scotland
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in January

If the sun is out, it is certainly hot enough to do some sunbathing by the pool or beach at that time of year but the water will be a tad more refreshing than the bath like temperatures of July or August! Have a light jacket as the nights will be cooler.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in January

I have been about three times in January and have been very lucky and had good days. I would suggest going to the wunderground website and putting in the airport CUN to look at the historical weather graphs so you can see for yourself.

One January it was so warm it felt like it was March in Mexico not January. Last year, I believe was a bad January in Mexico.

If you are really concerned, I would try end of November, early December.

If you like ocean swimming, you won't be disappointed, as the water is still very warm in January. The pools may be a little bit cooler. I am heading to Secrets Maroma Beach in December and they have a heated pool, but I hope to spend the majority of time in the ocean.

good luck with your decision.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in January

I feel the water in both the pools and the ocean is a bit chilly but IMO. I like to go a little later in the year.

5. Re: Weather in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 06:22