We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

we have been to the royal pdc twice now and need something new weve booked the gren porto because we like the location

So i was wondering , i know its not the same same standard of hotel but does the porto offer 24 hour room service ?

so they serve drinks at the beach and is the food good?

and if anyones been recently hows the beach condition>?

canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

Just came back from a week at the Gran Porto. Hsa a great time. Had been before. The beach is VERY big everywhere. The best swimming is in front of the PDC but its not bad in front of the Gran either. Yes the service is poolside and at the beach for drinks and a bar with swings and food at the beach.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

I just saw some pics on another forum of the Gran Porto Real.....the sand whales are back! :-(

Canada
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

where are the sand whales...

www.realresorts.com/Gran_Porto_Real/Webcam/

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

towards the point....you can't see them in the web cam.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

The sand whales are not back CL....you are seeing the old whale that was partially removed during the restoration. They left about half of it and now the sand is not as high as original so you can see more of it. There is still about 150 feet of sand in front of the resort. However there is a drop to the water and rocks are exposed underwater. At the south end (16th) is where they rake up the seaweed for disposal and the fishing boats do their thing. There is an odor if the winds are right...stay towards the north end of the GPR.

BTW the sand they pumped up for fill is not of the same quality as the "old" sand beach IMHO. Broken shells and coral and ? can buff your feet pretty good. I still prefer the beach and sands from the Royal to the north. And the 150-200 feet of sand between the water and the resorts in Playacar is tough for the tourists to get drinks and use the potty. Playacar resort beaches are best with a Bubba Keg in hand.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

Nope, these are new.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

Sorry, no new whales at the GPR. Give us the location of the "picture"? I have mine or take the word the "expert". Someone else can double check and see who's right.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

Thanks for the replys So far

So I think I read somewhere that there is roomservice but you can only order once a day

Can anyone remember any great food they ate and at which restaurant?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/58936-gran…

You may have to scroll down a bit before you see the pic with the new sandbags at water's edge. More pics on page 2

Edited: 01 November 2010, 05:54
charleston,sc
Level Contributor
332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ever been to gran porto real or the royal pdc?

I think you are confusing sand bags with sand whales that have been used. No doubt they are using the bags. I have seen them out on the cam putting them down or it looks like at times taking them back up but not sure on that. Either way it seems mother nature always wins out.