We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

Hello! We are planning a group trip (4 couples) to Cancun in Jan (very touristy, not leaving the resort areas), but with all the violence in Mexico I am thinking about changing our plans. I know there is violence EVERYWHERE, but it seems to be out of control. Anyone been recently and what was your experience? Opinions, suggestions are appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Chez Maya Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
Alestal
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Paseo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Univers Maya
Sightseeing Tours
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

The Drug war violence is taking place primarily along the border areas with the US and on the Pacific coast. There have been a few isolated incidents inland of the Cancun area. I would not change any plans based on the information of today. The Riviera is a very safe area and so far has been uneffected.

I have been going to the area for over 20 years now and have never had a problem. I do monitor the Mexican news on a daily basis so I can make an informed decision and not a "knee jerk" reaction to the over hyped media.

Edited: 04 November 2010, 11:45
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen, Akumal
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

You should not be concerned and go. We have never had any problems in the area, were there in June and have booked to return again in June 2011. I would not, however, visit any of the border cities currently because that is where the violence is rampant. I have been to most of the major border cities in the past and felt safe, but they are not that way now. The violence is concentrated in these areas which is over 1,000 miles away from the resort area of Cancun.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
charleston,sc
Level Contributor
332 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

Smitty look at all of the thousands of reviews of people returning just fine and can't wait to get back. Be smart but not paranoid. I'm leaving tomorrow and have zero concerns. Forget about it

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

there are no reports of out of control violence in the yucatan.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

A little geographic knowledge goes a long way - …aol.com/2010/10/15/how-safe-is-mexico/

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

Just returned from Puerto Vallarta, and felt perfectly safe there.

In March, we'll probably do a bus trip around the Yucatan. At this point in time, most areas of the Yucatan are safe for travel.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

We are travelling to Playa with our son in a few weeks and the violence reports concerned me greatly. (a gross understatement)

Yesterday I listened to Talking Travel, which is a joint venture between PRI and the BBC that addressed travel to the Yucantan. The statistic given was that the Yucatan is as safe as Wyoming on a per capita basis.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Lyme
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

I am also concerned. My family is returning to Playa del Carmen in April but with the violence escalating along the borders up north I am worried that by then it may trickle down to the lovely little town of Playa.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

We have been very tuned into the situation south of the border as well primarily because of my part time work. It is understandably a reason for some to be quite concerned. Right now PDC is still considered very safe and there is no evidence to support the situation changing. However, I strongly agree with those who continually monitor the situation abroad before making travel arrangements. BTW---this applies to anywhere you may be traveling.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
341 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Violence in Mexico...Change plans?

If you are so worried about violence, why do you live in Florida? Do you think the crime rate in Ft. Lauderdale is actually lower than the crime rate in the Riviera Maya? I mean, seriously? The bottom line is that you are safer here than you are walking your own streets.

neighborhoodscout.com/fl/…

Edited: 04 November 2010, 14:14
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico