We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit cards vs debit cards

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vincennes, Indiana
14 posts
Save Topic
credit cards vs debit cards

My husband and I will be leaving monday for playa del carmen! We are so excited. wondering is it better to use credit cards or debit cards? We will be taking cash also for tipping.

thanks for the help

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

My opinion you are better off with credit card. You have at least some protection. You can dispute charges,etc... Debit card is like cash, once you paid you are out of money.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

I always use the ATM to get pesos and credit card at hotels or expensive restaurants.

Call your bank/credit card company to inform them of your dates of travel and location.

Check your bills for months after returning. Last year, the last time I used one card was in Mexico. 4-6 months later someone tried using the number for online purchases.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

Try to use cash as much as possible. Use your debit card to get cash (pesos) from ATMs. Use caution at ATMs also. Bank ATMs are the best to use.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,869 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

I use CandyLady's concept. Debit card for ATM pesos withdrawal and use that mostly. I never use my credit card in Mexico for purchases like I do in the USA.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

I also agree with Candylady and Co_Pilot. Debit card at bank ATM's. Bank ATM's. Credit card at hotel or resort, Xcaret, Xplor or Xel Ha is OK, and cash for restaurants and gift shops. Like CW suggests, call your credit card company before you go.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

I agree with credit cards, not debit cards. Had the experince of $2000 taken out of my bank within two hours. Money gone.......I did end up getting it reimbursed from the bank, but it took a few weeks and I was not able to access that cash until then.

This happened in the states and it was the bank that picked up on it and called me. If you are out of the country, it would be hard for them to get in touch with you in a reasonable time, even if you already gave them your travel information.

If someone uses your credit card number, you can dispute that and you are not out your cash.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
258 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

Cash or credit cards only, no debit card for us. Two years ago we got a call about ski equipment being charged to my wife's card. The transaction occurred in Switzerland. Easy to deal with the company but would have been much worse if it was debit card.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

We take our debit cards so we can get cash and use our CC's for the bigger things as mentioned, like the hotel or excursions. Also a fan of calling the CC companies before you leave - I forgot last trip on one of my cards and they shut it off half way through my trip.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

We are just like Old Traveller. Use mostly pesos obtained with our ATM card, big purchases we us the credit card. Cards are in the safe with the passport and taken out for a dinero run and put back before the partying starts.

Works for us but we're like CO-Pilot and never use our credit cards at home so just aren't comfortable that we will handle them responsibly.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,869 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: credit cards vs debit cards

Last week I called my credit union and they stated that I have fraud protection on my debit/ATM card.