We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

NY
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

Hello,

I am scheduled to travel to Playa on Dec. 25-29th. I was completely excited about my upcoming vactaion until I found the following link (see below) of all of the horror stories of corrupt police, rapes, drug problems spreading ot the coast, and problems with tourist being targeted not just in north Mexico but in PLAYA. Anyone with recent visits or that live in Playa please let me know the real deal. Thanks in advance.

mexicovacationawareness.com/mexicostory.html

Chez Maya Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
Alestal
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Paseo Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Univers Maya
Sightseeing Tours
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

I'm still alive and going back next year. More chance of being stabbed in London.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
985 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

We are returning for the seventh time in six years. I read a few of the postings in you link and found some of them alarming for sure. What this website does not chronicle is the millions of people that visit the Cancun. Mayan Riveria area of Mexico every year. I am in no way, trying to minimize the experiences of those that contributed to the website in you link because bad stuff happens. BUT when you balance the bad experineces of a few to the wonderful experiences of millions your odds of having a great vacation are good. Of course being sensible and prudent is always essential and not allowing yourself to be put into situations where you could more easily be victimized, but that is just smart living , no matter where you choose to vacation. I hope you enjoy you vacation and Im sure you will come back as part of the millions that have a great time in that area every year. We will be arriving on January 11th for two weeks!

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

I've read some of those post. While some could be thru, a fair amount seem to be made up to scare people, or written by paranoied people. Not saying that nothing bad happens, but I would not believe everything you can read on the web. Be prudent and enjoy your vacation, there a lot of worst destinations in the world.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

I'm sure most if the posts in the website are real and the stories are very tragic. And I'm sure Mexico is not the safest country to visit. Having said that I just turned on the news to a story in my country about a car jacking with a baby in the car. My point is, no where is completely safe. You have to travel anywhere and be cautious. The biggest thing I took from those stories is don't go anywhere alone (which to me is common sense). It is a little scary about the corrupt police and bad medical care but that is a risk in any third world. You have to be smart and careful, but I have to do that traveling in my own country!

playa del carmen
Level Contributor
293 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

PAtraveller-agree with what you are saying except for one thing-the medical care is not bad. In fact, the medical care in Playa and cancun is some of the best you will find anywhere. Hospiten is a great hospital but great doctors and especially great fees. The only downside is chances are you will need to pay upfront and then get reimbursed from your insurance company.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

I don't know hawaii3012? That just has not been my experience of the Mayan Riviera, not at all. The crime statistics do not bear this out at all for the Mayan Riviera.

I think I would like to see more proof. Is it fair to ask for proof? Unnamed sources, innuendo, rumors, no last names, no email addresses. How about showing corroborating stories that were printed in US, Canadian or European papers or magazines, any publication? None of this would stand up in a court of law in the United States. I'm sure there have been accidents and criminal events, but what and where are the statistics, the empirical data?

calgary
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

I read a few of the posts on the link you provided. Apart from the fact that they are unverifiable, anonymous and in some cases clearly written by people with an axe to grind, most of them are talking about accidents, not crimes. Millions of people visit Mexico every year. Many of them go there for the specific purpose of getting sloppy drunk in public and participating in inherently dangerous activities like para-sailing, horse back riding etc while sloppy drunk. I think it is amazing that more tourists don't end up dead in the circumstances.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

The flights from the US arrive in Mexico full and return to the US full. The most prevalent issue here is Drownings, Car and Moped Accidents. In fact, the website you pointed out about safety, most were alcohol related, falls from balconies etc. Just stay out of Politics, and Drugs here and you will be fine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
159 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

We travel to PDC 2 to 3 times per year and feel safer in PDC than walking in downtown Chicago at night

I read several of these stories and although tragic it could and does happen anywhere - heart attacks, vehicle accidents, mugging , rape are common on our local news as I am sure they are in NY

If you aren't looking for trouble, chances are it won't find you either

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Del Carmen Dangerous

From Today's NY Daily News:

* Bloomy cop 'covered up' shooting love rival: prosecutors

* Woman, 22, shot inside Bronx apartment

* Mugger wreaks havoc on Manhattan streets

* Psycho Michael Brea reveals details of grisly murder

* Armored car biz break-in stalls in Long Island

* Two ex-cons gunned down inside van in Brooklyn

* Teen baby-sitter cuffed in death of S.I. tot

* Arrest made in death of woman on beach

* Bloomy cop on hot seat for shooting

www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/index.html

I would be more concerned with the above website first.