We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

Oregon
Level Contributor
408 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

Looking for a hotel with great snorkeling and decent food for the day. Something that is not on the beaten path perhaps-If anyone has been to Garrafon on Isla Mujeres(actually Hotel Garrafon right next door to the "Garrafon Park)with same amazing snorkeling and tons of Iguanas)-Something like that. Thanks!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

Akumal Beach Resort (ABR) has a $35 day pass on the famous Akumal Bay

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

That's a great deal and a concept I hadn't really thought of before. Sundog , could I ask you for a second choice for the same question but for somewhere that offers great snorkelling but with no access other than through the resort. If you know of a place and the cost please let me know. In my case we will stay in Akumal just for the snorkelling and so would look for some variety at the second choice. We will have transport . thanks.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

vancouversundog...do you know if the ABR day pass includes drinks and food all day?

thanks

Edited: 29 November 2010, 05:23
Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

ABR day pass (10 am - 5 pm) includes lunch at the snack bar or the lunch buffet and all drinks

You can also visit Akumal Bay and buy drinks / food at many of the local stores

Half Moon Bay and Yal-Ku Lagoon is very close by

Edited: 29 November 2010, 05:38
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,430 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

I've been to the Garrafon Hotel. There was a small fee to use their lockers etc. but I don't recall it including food and drink. Both were available but I'm pretty sure that it was an extra cost (altbeit a nominal one).

As far as Akumal is concerned, there are severals bars and restaurants on the beach, so absolutely no need fo buy a day pass to Akumal Beach Resort unless you plan on eating and drinking enough to get your $35 worth. Also, to the best of my recollection (which may be hazy as I was there a couple of years ago), the best snorkelling - i.e. where the turtles can be found etc. - is towards the north end of Akumal beach whereas ABR is quite a bit further down the beach towards the south.

Another place for good snorkelling is Puerto Morelos. You'll need to hire a local to take you out to the reef (approx US$25 each, including equipment rental) and there are plenty of places to eat and drink in town when you get back - again, no day pass necessary.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

Another option would be to take the ferry across to Cozumel. You can snorkel off the beach in a number of locations without buying a day pass at a resort.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,142 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

I have been told shore snorkeling is best at Akumal (and area like half moon bay)

Offshore snorkeling is at PM and Coz

Oregon
Level Contributor
408 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

These sound like very good ideas...But not sure how the travel time will add up. We are trying to actually make it from a cruise ship that is docked in Cozumel for the day and just really want the epitome of relaxation without the mass tourism. We do have an interest in Playa Del Carmen area as a future destination because it seems to offer much diversity with the new and old mix-Hummm...Honestly, if I knew we had enough time I would do Xel-ha again-Last time there two years ago went when it was very uncrowded at the time and loved every minute. Thanks for the input! Yes, $35 for the two of us AI (yes, we like our cocktails and such) is much better than the $80 versions from the cruise...We also would be just as happy also finding conch(Squid/shrimp/octopus)-on-a-stick on a beautiful beach though with a hose to rinse off with!

9. Re: All Inclusive Day Pass for hotel with great snorkeling acces

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 05:16