We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM Upgrades

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
VIM Upgrades

So I've read about several people receiving free room upgrades at VIM. I'm trying to figure out if there is any rhyme or reason to it. If you received a free upgrade, did you ask for it? Did you check in early or late? Do you think that first-timers seem more likely to get one or returners? I know the standard room is very nice and that's what I booked so I'm fine with getting one, but....I wouldn't mind getting a free upgrade:-)

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM Upgrades

I was there in January of this year. I booked the Deluxe category and was upgraded to the Silver category. I asked about the upgrade and the receptionists said she already upgraded me. Good luck and have a great time! I love the VIM!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
812 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM Upgrades

Hubby and I were booked in a standard room and we were upgraded (for free) to the Emerald Suites. At check-in we told the guy that we were celebrating our 24th wedding anniversary. I also had a copy of my marriage certificate with me. He told us to go have some lunch and come back in 2 hours. We went back to see him and he said our room was ready. Thats when he told us about the upgrade. The next day we went back to the check-in area and gave him a 'tip' in an envelope for the upgrade.

Enjoy your vacation at VIM

Mary

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM Upgrades

I've been there twice and didn't get upgraded either time. So far as I can tell, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to their free upgrades. However, only a relatively small proportion of their rooms are the basic, Junior Deluxe suites, so I figure it's simply a numbers thing - fewer basic level rooms = more chance of a free upgrade especially if the resort is fairly full.

Butte, Montana
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM Upgrades

I just booked the VIM and i was thinking the same thing, but i just booked the emerald oceanfront suite for a great price so no regrets. I would rather have it for sure than be dissipointed when i get there.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM Upgrades

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it. We've been twice (are going back two weeks from today). The first time we were upgraded while the second time we weren't. It's not a big deal, because both the upgrade (golden suites) and the standard room were great. To be honest we liked the location of the standard room more than the upgraded one.

We didn't ask for an upgrade either time.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIM Upgrades

I read about the jibberjabber on here about generous upgrades and considered "going for it". Afterall who doesn't want to get a sweet deal for free? Then I thought about what kind of jerk I'd sound like asking to be upgraded for free when I arrived and how stupid I'd feel if they said no. Just book the room you want and pay for it.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: VIM Upgrades

I booked a basic Jr. Delux suite at the VIM through Liberty travel in late August for a trip Dec 11- 18th. On the paper work that I received from Liberty travel it indicate $100 in resort credits *plus* an automatic upgrade to a Golden suite because I booked before a certain time. Has anyone booked with Liberty Travel for the VIM and got this deal as well??

I knew when I booked I would get the $100 in resorts credits, but was surprised to see I would receive an upgrade to a Golden Suite? Doesn't sound right.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
496 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIM Upgrades

When I booked with Orbitz I was given a free upgrade with the package and I received it at check in. We booked the standard room and were given a silver.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
315 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VIM Upgrades

We were there in April. We booked a Golden and stayed in a Golden. We were offered use of our 'resort credit' to upgrade to a Diamond, along with a $100 a day increase. Had we been there to use our room we would have - we spent most of our time at the beach and enjoying the area. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VIM Upgrades

Our first visit in 2008 we booked a jr. deluxe and got upgraded to a golden for free. This year I booked a golden because I didn't want to be disappointed if we didn't receive an upgrade to a golden. Prior to our arrival I emailed and followed up with a call to request building 6 with a king bed stating that we were return guests. We received exactly what I requested, so I guess the point is, book the category room that you'd like.