We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,051 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

According to several local newspapers, local authorites are preparing sanctions against Princess Hotel as a result of the recent explosion. This translated from Respuesta:

"The mayor of Solidarity, Román Quian Alcocer, confirmed that the Urban Development Division, preparing strong sanctions against the hotel on the Riviera Maya Princess and it was found that plans had no privileges for the construction of a gas pipeline that exploded and left seven dead and 17 wounded last month."

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

This is sadly, unfortunate. How will this be handled from here, Robert? Criminal charges? Fines? Close the hotel? Curious to know just how Princess resorts will be held accountable?

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

OH Dear....that is so upsetting to think that...

calgary
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

So the swamp gas theory stands completely debunked now I take it. I can't say I am surprised. It was theoretically possible but the conclusion of a swamp gas build up was reached way too soon for such a freak accident as that would have been.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

Thanks God that somebody is doing something about this 'accident'.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

Thanks for the update Robert. Please keep us posted as things progress.

Estevan...
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

GOOD!! I went to school with the 41yr old male and son that was killed. Worked for his mom and feel so sorry for her she is a great woman.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

Interesting...perhaps that will open the doors for some lawsuits... hit them where it hurts!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,051 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

Agree , cowtown. Looks like so much for the swamp gas theory. It will be interesting to see if the autorities really dole out any severe punishment. They may be forced to since this incident got much international attention.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

Thanks Robert. There are many waiting to hear the conclusion of this horrible event.

As far as I know most of the Canadian tour operators have already dropped this property and are no longer offering it this season.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Authorities to Sanction Princess Hotel

Yes, the Canadian tour ops have dropped the Riviera Princess, however, Sunwing is still offering the Sunset Princess.