We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CANADA
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Topic
How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

Does anyone currently how long your marriage certificate should be mailed to you in Canada after being married in the Mayan?

My wife and I we married at a legal ceremony at the RIU Palace Mayan Riviera on March 31, 2010 (9 months ago) and still have not received anything.

I heard at the time that it would take 6 – 7 months to receive our papers, but now we are at the 9 month mark..

Is this something we should follow up the resort where were married at, is there someone else we should be following up with at this point or should just be patient and keep living in sin for a bit longer?

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

Any idea on how they were going to send it? If it was by Mexican mail, you may be in for a long life of sin. ;) I would follow up. Marriage certificates are not hard to obtain. Should there be a problem, you will want to contact the Registro Civil, here.

CANADA
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

Just read over the documentation that the RIU Palace sent us prior to getting married with what was included in our package. It states that it will be translated back into English and will be mailed to us. Should arrive in 6-7 months.

Mind you that is 6 - 7 months Mexico time.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

If it was to be translated and apostiled, the time would probably be about right. If it is two months late, I would check. Mexican time or not, it is kind of an important document to have. ;)

CANADA
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

I sent an email to the wedding coordinator at the RIU. Let's see if they get back to me or not

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

If not, PM me and I can call them from here.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

Wow, 6-7 months...some marriages don't last that long.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

Mayan Gringo...lol!

-Surf:)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,034 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

A dive operator on Isla Mujeres mailed me a CD via certified mail (or the Mexican equivalent) on Nov. 16. According to the Mexican post office's tracking system, it arrived in Mexico City on Dec. 9. So after more than 3 weeks, it's farther away than when it started!

9. Re: How Long For a Marriage Certificate To Arrive In Canada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 05:41