We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand Xcaret or Barcelo - March 19-26

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
north bay ontario
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental Grand Xcaret or Barcelo - March 19-26

Can somebody answer the question as to whether or not all rooms at Occidental have shower only? We are looking at Barcelo or Occidental and cannot decide so any assistance would be appreciated. Two adults no kids. Need advice on which rooms, food, drinks (local or international), entertainment would be better.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
967 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret or Barcelo - March 19-26

I have been to Barcelo Maya Caribe...the oldest section of the Barcelo Complex and we are returning to OGX in 6 days for the fourth year in a row. The biggest difference between these two reosrts is the beach. The Barcelo is on a beautiful stretch of beach with great snorkelling. The OGX has a man-made beach cove. The OGX does have showers only and I answered you other post in more detail about the showers. As far as service, I personally prefer OGX. We found the Barcelo to be understaffed in regards to guest/staff ratio. We also prefer OGX when it comes to food.But that is, of course a very subjective topic. Entertainment wise, I would have to say the Barcelo. The shows were very good and since we were there the resort has expanded and there is a disco there now called Jaguers, that is apparently very good. Also you can go to the newer sections of the Barcelo with the exception of the Palace section, so more to do.OGX is attached to Xcaret park...ie walk from the lobby into the park. OGX is also next door to Explor Park. OGX is a $10 dollar cab ride from Playa del Carmen, where the Barcelo is quite a hike and more like a $20-$25 dollar cab ride.Both resorts have hard beds. Room quality in my opinion is about the same. Keeping in mind we stayed in the older section of Barcelo and not the Colonial or Tropical area. Drink wise we prefer OGX. Wine is horrid in both places. We love the jungle setting at OGX and the abundant wild-life . Royal Club at OGX if you can afford the upgrade is AMAZING! Hope this helps. Feel free to message me privately if I can help in anyway.

Edmonton, AB, Canada
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret or Barcelo - March 19-26

Just got back from the Grand Xcaret, the standard rooms have shower only, no bath tubs. The showers are very large though if that makes any difference.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret or Barcelo - March 19-26

I stayed at the Barcelo Palace last year and the room we had was a junior suite (which I believe is the standard at the palace........I had booked the Tropical but there was a mix up and they ended up putting us at the Palace...no complaints!!).......the tub is huge and there is a rain shower as well...........the beach is beautiful and one of the biggest pools I have ever seen......but it was freezing most days as it was impossible for the sun to warm up that much water.........the buffet restaurants were good not great but you could definitely find something to eat and they catered to a lot of different cultures (octopus, duck, lamb......besides the steak, chicken..etc)...

The bed was hard but they have a pillow top between the mattress and box spring,,,why they just don't put in on the bed to begin with not sure but I guess some people must enjoy a hard bed.

The resort in my opinion is too large.......5 resorts on one stretch of beach and the Palace itself has almost 800 rooms.....

I've stayed at OGX twice and over all I much prefer it..........the rooms aren't as swanky as the Palace but for the price of the 2 you could upgrade to the Royal section that is closest to the beach and they have tubs. There is lot's of different restaurants and the one at the beach has such a pretty view....it's true the beach is very small but the views are so pretty and the jungle type atmosphere walking through the resort is so much nicer and there is several large pools around the resort so you never have to worry about getting a chair............and the biggest plus is having Xcaret park right next door. When I went the other 2 times you got a day at the park for free but it's worth paying the price just to watch the 2 hour spectacular show in the evening........explains all about the mayan culture...........and I also did the dolphin encounter and underground river swim at Xcaret ......you can definitely spend an entire day there as in both times going I didn't see all of it........

Whatever you chose you won't be disappointed........it's Mexico!!

north bay ontario
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret or Barcelo - March 19-26

Thank you so much for your answers. I see you have also been to Grand Sirenis and Bahia complex. They are both around the same price as Barcelo and Occidental Xcaret and it is so hard to try and decide where to go. Occidental sounds great other than the smaller beach area and it may be worth upgrading but it will be another $200-300 each. I would appreciate anything else you could share about the other resorts in comparison. Thanks again.

5. Re: Occidental Grand Xcaret or Barcelo - March 19-26

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 06:17