We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

My mother (67yrs) and I (43yrs) are planning to go to the GPR in mid April. It will be my mother's first time in Mexico, my 3rd. I've stayed at the Grand Riviera Princess Deluxe Jr suites 2 yrs ago and was wondering how comparable are they to GPR's? I want to bring my mother to a nice resort, where the suites and resort grounds are nice. Any other resort in Playa del Carmen suggestions for a mother daughter trip?

Also does anyone have any suggestions or tips for Playa del Carmen and this resort? Any and all comments will be appreciated.

alberta canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

hi missmisspia, We have stayed at both these resorts. The porto real is a much smaller resort than the princess. Only one pool with another roof top pool, which seemed to be more for adults. We stayed in an ocean view room and it was quite nice, room was big. Also when staying at the porto real you have the advantage of being a couple blocks from 5th ave.

We also stayed at the princess in 2009 on the rivera side in a swim-up room and are returning to the princess this April again in a swim-up room.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

Thanks Pika43 for your input.

I like the fact that the Gran Porto Real is smaller than the Grand Riviera Princess, only for the fact that mother will be coming with me. How would you compare the jr deluxe suites at the GRP to the Oceanview Jr suites of the G.Porto Real?

alberta canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

Hi again. The room is nice at the porto real but we like the room at the rivera princess swim-up. It was nice to see the ocean everyday sitting on the balcony. We chose the porto real this past spring just so we would be close to 5th ave. It is a nice hotel and for a fee you can go across the street and use the ammenities at the Royal which is a beautiful and much bigger resort.

We just like the princess swim-out room and it does have more to enjoy there so don't really have to leave resort.

When you go to the porto real don't forget to go to the roof top pool, it is pretty cool, has a swim-up bar and a sushi bar but can also get quite rowdy it is only open until 4pm.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

thanks again Pika43 for your comments, I found it very helpful. I will make sure to go to the rooftop swimming pool...my mother and I love sushi.

We are both very excited to go - I loved 5th ave when I was there 2 years ago, and I can't wait to show it to my mother, she's excited to go as well - it will be our first vacation together.

alberta canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

Your welcome missmisspia! If you have any other questions just send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help you out! When are you going in April? We are going April 27 to May 7.

Enjoy your vacation!!

sc
Level Contributor
143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

How about The Royal next door? You have to be at least 16, no splashing and and everything around/in the pool. Nice atmosphere - no rowdiness at all. Also has a great coffee shop if you want to relax that way after dinner rather than the lobby bar. Cool place to hang out

They have great sushi in their Asiana restaurant too - though maybe some of the rooms at the Porto Real will give you access to that.

I am sure Porto Real will be great (I am just biased right now as I just returned from Royal) though.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

wife and I stayed at the Grand Princess (Platinum OV) in November 2009 and at the GPR Beachfront Walkout in September 2010. Both are really nice, but we are returning back to the Princess (Platinum) with our 22 & 25 year old kids in 3 weeks.

The GPR is much smaller and the access to 5th avenue is great, but still requires walking. Some rooms at the GPR allow you access to the Royal and most restaurants next door, but frankly, we enjoyed the food better at the Princess, particularly when the concierge makes all your reservations. (this was also my first time with tourista in many years, having eaten lunch and dinner at the GPR and 3 meals at the Royal - no food offsite)

The comments about the roof top pool are true in that it is adults only and the party pool, but it is small and old, part of the original hotel and I don't think there is an elevator all the way to the top, so you have to take a flight or 2 of stairs, so you mother may not be comfortable with the trek.

If you are concerned about the cost, the Princess will be much cheaper, being offered by Sunwing and Westjet. Air Canada dropped it after the explosion. Sunwing has trips ex Toronto this month to the Princess for > $600.

Regardless which you choose, you should have a great vacation, if you have the right attitude.

8. Re: Gran Porto Real - Oceanview Jr Suite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 06:21