We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

Alberta
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Topic
Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

Our adults only vacation has been cancelled as my brother is now joining us with his 4 kids. I was really looking forward to it and am trying to figure out a way to get the experience anyway. I was thinking about either the IB Grand or the Royal Suites at the Palladium. We were hoping to find a resort fairly close to the airport, but our options are limited.

My dilemma is price. We are willing to pay the premium this time around because it is a special occaision, but if we are going to be spending half our time in the family sections of a resort, should we go with the cheaper option and choose the Palladium? I'm also wondering if there are other resort choices that have adults only along with family sections in the same resort?

vancouver
Level Contributor
256 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

Book the Grand for yourself, and your brother could stay next door at the Maya. The resort is @ 30 min. from the airport.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

Agreed don't settle for someone else..at night you have better dining options and better amenities all around!! Go all out and book the Grand you wont be dissappointed.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

You could look at the Palladium as well. I have stayed in both complexes but never at the Grand or the Royal Suites. I think the Palladium is more integrated with the abilty to break away where the Grand is more seperated. If I was going to splurge on the Grand I would want my whole trip to be there. I am sure the Grand is a step above the the royal suites but probably costs a ton more as well.

United States
Level Contributor
211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

Your best bet is to stick with the IB* Grand. The Grand is top notch with no equal and if you have the opportunity to stay there, take it.

Agree with previous poster. Your brother can stay next door at the IB* Maya, Lindo, Beach, or Del Mar. Different price points for a family to choose.

Staying at the Grand you will be able to go to any of those resorts and see them on your schedule, then move back to the Grand for "your" time. You can dine with them if you want or spend time at their pools, beaches, bars, etc. (They will not be able to come to you at the Grand however)

Any questions, let me know.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 18:50
Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

Don't go back from Adults only, you will so regret it. I agree with the other posters, book yourself into the Grand and have a few visits during the week to see the family.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

Take a look at Grand Velas. The resort is not adults only but it is VERY nice, the food is outstanding (unquestionably the best we have had at any all inclusive resort) and it is set up so that you still can get some very good adult time. It would be a really good compromise if you were intent on all being at the same resort and still wanted a high end experience like the Grand. Check it out---it truly is a gorgeous resort. We stayed at the one in Nueva Vallarta and toured the PDC compound. It is every bit as high end as the Grand (if not nicer for the exception of not being adult only). I think (you need to confirm) that there may be an adults only pool area as well. We would stay there in a heartbeat and we too want an adult only environment when possible.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,521 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

If you are planning to eat your meals with your brother and family, then don't waste your money on the Grand. One of the great things about the Grand is their food. On the other hand if you just want to spend a little bit of time with them, go for the Grand.

Unless you are going to spend at least 80% of your time at the Grand, I don't think it's worth it.

I too would look at the Grand Velas. The resort is not adults only, but they do have adults only areas and pool. The food is great there and you could be with your family most of the time.

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

When we stayed at the IB Grand, we enjoyed spending an hour or so at the IB Lindo in the wave pool and at the lazy river. We also liked hanging at the IB Lindo/Maya beach because it was busier and more fun. The shows are better at the IB Lindo and Maya, too. BUT, having said that...we were sooooo happy that we didn't have to stay there. It's so overcrowded and the food doesn't hold a candle to the food at the Grand. I'd say book the Grand!!!!

Alberta
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

We've been looking around for quite awhile at AO resorts and the Grand looks fantastic. It was the Lindo or Maya that my brother was looking at booking into, and it's in his price range. But with 4 kids, I'm not sure if the Grand Velas is an option. I'll have to check into pricing.

The IB Grand is where I would like to go in an ideal situation. but schmerl's point is what's worrying me. Is it going to be a waste of money. I am thinking that the majority of lunches and dinners will be in the other sections, maybe a couple breakfasts and lunches, an evening or two of lone dinners with my husband but the rest with the family.

Is the food quality that different in the Lindo/Maya sections from the Grand?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,446 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is booking the IB Grand a mistake?

Is your heart set on resort? I'm just thinking that with four adults and four kids, you might be able to rent a nice villa (possibly even complete with a cook) for what the Grand and the Lindo or Maya will cost.

If you definitely want the Iberostar, I agree with the previous poster - if you're not going to spend at least 80% of your time at the Grand, then why pay THAT much money to essentially just sleep there? Let's face it, the Grand isn't exactly bargain-priced.

Another option - suck it up and go as cheaply as possible with the bro and then come back again a few months later and stay at the Grand when it's just you and your husband.