We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

Calgary, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

CBC News the National is updating this story. Watch it Monday night with additional updates throughout the week on this link:

www.cbc.ca/thenational/

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

I am watching it now... interesting to hear the perspective of the families of workers who died.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

Thanks for the link, a hole in a gas line does seem more probable. It's funny how the cause is now changing. We were ready to book the hotel but decided otherwise after not being convinced the hotel was now safe. I hope they find the real cause so this doesn't happen again and so it can maybe give start to give some closure to the families if people are found liable.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

Here it is:

cbc.ca/thenational/indepthanalysis/story/201…

Oakville
Level Contributor
601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

I was hoping for more news. This was all old info. Sad to see how the families are being treated though. Not suprising though. Princess needs to take ownership of this and take care of all. All resorts anywhere need to learn from this.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

At least it appears that the Mexican government is going after those responsible. They say at least 4 individuals will be charged.

But what is beyond belief is that, despite overwhelming evidence, the hotel management continues to deny, deny, deny.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

It is sad.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

I am one to never believe everything the media says, just because it was reported on the news does not make it a fact. I am very good at reading between the lies of the media and the agendas of third parties. I would be less then honest to jump to conclusions as I know most will after watching that video.

However, if that report turns out to be 100% accurate then Mexican government and authorities for Q. Roo should forbid this ownership group from ever doing business in their state again. I would also seize the resort, sell it to someone responsible and give the dead and injured the compensation.

We had this resort book as one of four resorts to visit this summer on our three week trip. I held judgment for a couple of days then canceled because I smelled a rat. However I think we all need to wait until the attorney general issues his final report along with the courts.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,722 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

I'm not sure what specifically you mean, Dean_family, when you say that all resorts should learn from this or (as on the other thread) that all resorts should view this as a wake-up call. I mean I'm not sure what aspect that comment is in regard to or what it is that you think all resorts apparently have in common with this one...

Steve

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

playamaya...i would assume it has everything to do with the fact that the ambulance EMT said that its common for this to happen at the resorts. that is, preserve image over any negativity. thats what i take from dean's words anyway after seeing the full report.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 05:02
Oakville
Level Contributor
601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on Grand Riviera Princess Explosion

No disrespect thats for sure. What i was tring to say is that i bet this resort thought they were ready and guess what they werent. All hotels everywhere should be looking at what they have in place for emergency responce and make sure they have whats needed. Not just in mexico i mean everywhere. Safety should be #1 everywhere. Bring unprepared just doesnt cut it anymore.