We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

We're looking at booking at the BBGE for 5 nights over Easter, but I've seen a couple of posts saying the beach/water is not so great. Can anyone give some more details?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
234 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

Hi,

We are going next month. Take a look at the pictures in the review section. The beach looks okay. Our friends that went there said that the water was almost unswimable but the sand was nice. These are not picky people at all and it did not affect there vacation as they are pool people.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

Nice sandy beach, murky water not the best for swimming... not the water you would expect in the caribbean, must be affected by the muddy bottom.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

We're going there next month also and I'll have to admit, I am getting a little nervous. Seems there has been more negative reviews than positive. I understand about the water clarity, but as long as the beach is nice for sunning and there's a pool nearby to cool off, that's fine with us. I also understand that it is a big resort and that had me a little hesitant at first. My husband and I have slight mobility issues with long walks and climbing lots of stairs many times a day, but that also didn't concern me because they advertised transportation throughout the resort, and elevators.

But now I'm seeing too many complaints about the carts not being reliable, or not even stopping to pick you up. And, the elevators broke more than working. Service lacking? We're going in high season, it's going to be busy. I hope they are trying to remedy the problems.

I emailed them today with my concerns, but no answer yet. I'm trying to stay positive, I don't want to change resorts at this late date.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

Thanks JNS, that's helpful. As Aussies we have pretty high standards for beaches, so clear water (and hopefully some snorkelling) is a must!

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

No snorkeling anywhere along that stretch of beach from Secrets Capri to BBGE, Mucky bottom with a few rocks and murky water. Walking the beach is okay, but these are not beach people resorts (Ocean Maya is between the two mentoned). If you want to snorkle, go south to Catalonia Royal Tulum (adult only) or Akumal Beach Resort (3 star, but great beach and snorkel with tortugas!

Port Clinton, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

If you walk approximate 10 minutes to the right you will find very clear water with lots of fish.

I'm a Beach Person and do not mind the murkey water, but I want a clean, white sand beach. Here you will find a Nice Beach.

Though I would prefer the crystal clear water I have had at other Playa Resorts, but I can deal with the murkeywater.

It's cleaner than Lake Erie where I live

Port Clinton, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

Poops, you walk 10 minutes to the left - Sorry

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

Ill second that for Royal Catalonia Tulum... the best beach!!! Weve been twice, adults only, nice size rooms, good food, great pool areas and one of the nicest beaches in the area... great for snorkeling (the angel like fish came right up to us) and you can walk a mile in either direction before coming up to another hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

Nice hotel, good rooms, pools, food, nice white beach but terrible brown ocean water front. Go knowing it will be a pool swim - for snorkelling go to Cozumel for the day or Xel Ha, or Akumel bay or Kal Yu Lagoon.

Ontario
Level Contributor
355 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda - Beach

We went to the BBGE in November. I liked the resort, didn't love it though. This is not a swimming beach. You can go into the water but there is no depth at all. It wasn't clear but I did see some angel fish.

However, the food was yummy!!

The pool was nice, but half of it was closed for tile work.