We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

Hey Just got back last night from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda, our second time there and had an even better time. Not sure why people write just bad reviews!!

If you have any questions please let me know...

Oh and YES they don't have straws for your drinks!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

What building did you stay in? Would you recommend it? Did you go with Nolitours?

Thunder Bay
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

Do they exchange money at the resort. Thinking of bring some extra Canadian with me to exchange there?

Sonoma County, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

We are heading there next week for a wedding, how was the weather? How were the mosquitoes? Sounds like the water is still murky at the resort. We can't wait to go! Thanks for the info.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

I've been checking out this resort for some time now. It seems like they're always having a great special... very cheap for me. The only down side that I see with this resort is that it doesn't have a swim up bar?

I just wanted to see if that was correct? Do they or don't they have a swim up bar?

Thanks!

Atlanta

New Jersey
Level Contributor
574 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

We are returning on March 15th for our second stay at BBGE. We, too, don't know why all the bad commetns. A question.. at the smaller of the pools, did they expand on their shade areas?

Glad you had a wonderful vacation.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

Cobalt1975... We were in building 5 this time and 4 the last, recommend both as they are the farthest from the resturant and beach party which could keep you up at night. No we didn't book with Nolitours, booked through Orbitz, didn't want to work with any of the canadian charter companies, more flexiblitiy this way.

DaleThunderBay... yes you can exchange money at the resort, from desk, the exchange rate was 1cad = 10 pesos and 1us = 10.60 pesos. We used mostly US$ especially for tipping!!

Bigjoemann... the weather was really good, we did have one half day of rain, our last evening in poured rain, and was a bit rainy the next morining, we left at 6pm and it never cleared HOWEVER we did still sit by the pool bikini's and all. Most day were really hot and sunny, not too much wind which made it even hotter. The day it rained our hubbies stayed in the pool all day, the pool felt warmer in the rain and they had fun despite the rain. Don't let the rain get you down, it may only last a few hours, 99% of your time there will be super hot and sunny!!

We brought bug spray and think we used it once, I found that the mosquitoes weren't even around!!

Yes the water is a bit merky but that didn't stop anyone from swimming in the ocean, it was beautiful!! Just down from our resort was a beautiul spot that had the clear aqua water, walk to the ocean turn left and walk about 5 mins, you'll find it, so gorgeous there!!

Sonoma County, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

Thanks! I love the rain as well when swimming, as long as the weather is still warm. Only 1 week left before our trip, can't wait!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

Atlanta28... no they don't have a swim up bar but they do have many people serving drinks around the pool, around most parts of the pool there is a shallow lip to lean on, order your drink and chill, just like a swim up bar!! :)

Jazzman... hummm I can't really recall we did go there for lunch almost everyday, we loved the walk and being outside for lunch. I think there may have been but don't quote me on it, great spot though!!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

Bigjoemann...oh gosh yes the weather was still warm or at least I thought it was and i get cold really quickly!! I don't think it's possble to get a solid week of rain so get ready for some great weather and a fun trip!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda... questions???

Thanks Balsa! Glad you had a great time!