We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
765 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

Great website and terrific email responses from Eduardo Romano. Now just trying to figure out which things to do or not do:

Here is my plan...let me know what you think:

Cenotes for snorkeling then the lagoon to see tropical fish...adding on swimming with turtles in Akumal with lunch in between?

I'm a nurse, so I do have some concerns about getting a parasite from the cenotes (nasty Naegleria fowleri organism). Has anyone heard of this with swimming in cenotes? Knowledge is a dangerous thing sometimes...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

thats similar to what we did, but we also squeezed in zip lining as well. hindsight being 20/20, i would have skipped the zip lining and spent more time with the turtles. but thats a great snorkel day trip as youll go to some great places.

make sure you have an underwater camera, digital preferably, and know how to use the uw setting properly. some amazing shots to be had all day long in the water.

never heard of the parasite thing...be interesting to see what others write...

Barre Mills...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

You will have great time. We took our daughters (9& 11) In Dec '09. Ed and Bonnie were great people to deal with. Ed's brother Danny was our guide all day. We explored the Tulum Ruins right away in the a.m. before the Cruise ship tourists arrived. It was then off for zip lining and also a cool cliff you could jump off which the kids loved. Then we went to Dos Ojos Cenote which was amazing. They will take pics for you here with their underwater camera for a small fee. They took great pics and Ed puts them on a disc for you at the end of the day. Make sure you wear a wet suit..kinda chilly in the Cenote! Next was lunch and then off to Akumal Bay to swim the the turtles . Way cool! Then you go to Yal Ku lagoon and snorkle which was nice with lots of colorful fish.

It is a full day but definately well worth the money.

Feel free to write w/ any questions!!

Edited: 10 February 2011, 17:27
Michigan
Level Contributor
302 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

I just checked out Edventure Tour's website yesterday and read all the great reviews on Trip Advisor.

I'm thinking we will do everything except the ruins....just wondering if we don't do the ruins are we still taken there and just hang out till the people they place us with are done there or do we just move on to the next adventure.....seems like in the reviews almost everyone spends time at the ruins...or perhaps they place us with a group not doing the ruins...which makes sense.

Seems like a great idea to pay extra and let them take the pictures.

Usually I don't like to do much site seeing....just enjoy spending time at the beach, but this sounds great and sense it is all water related it should be fun and I find myself looking forward to the day.

Clinton Township...
Level Contributor
584 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

The ruins are a must see. It will take you an hour to go thru them on your own and besides you will be waiting around Ed's shop that long anyway because he will be collecting $$ from everyone there and his workers will be getting everyone fitted for snorkel equipment etc.... Plus you will get some amazing pictures while at the Ruins. And trust me you will know the exact spot im talking about for those great pics once you get in there.

My only other suggestion to add to the amazing day you will have would be to email Ed and Bonnie and inquire about getting a private guide for the day. You will thank me later for that tip! With the private guide you wont be stuck waiting for other people or stuck with a van full of kids and such. It will be just you and the guide. The guide will let you do everything at your own pace. Last year the private guide for the day cost an extra $40 but WELL WORTH IT.

Also..... highly recommend renting one of their underwater cameras. The guide will do all of the work by taking all the pics for you and they will burn them onto a disc at the end of the day for you to take home. Also on that disc will be a ton of extra pictures they have taken over the years of sea turtles, Sting Rays, etc.... I believe they charge around $30 for the rental but again IMO well worth it.

Edited: 10 February 2011, 18:08
Michigan
Level Contributor
302 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

Bowling Guru....thanks for the info. You answered my question about what we do if we decide we don't want to spend time at the ruins....I thought perhaps it would be a shorter day without them, but you are right...if we will be waiting there anyway we might as well see them.....and you are right about the camera and letting them take the pictures...

Edited: 10 February 2011, 18:49
Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

thats a different experience than what we had.

everyone meets up at the shop first thing in the am, then are divided into groups depending on what they are going to tour. as we didnt sign up to go to tulum, we went with 4 others into the van and off to start snorkeling right away. we didnt have to tag along and wait in the bus while others were at the ruins.

in total there were 6 of us in the van...myself, gf and two friends, and another 2 who were just doing a half day of the cenote and zip lining.

Edited: 10 February 2011, 19:36
Hoboken
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

If you used your own underwater digital camera was the flash enough in the cenote? Or did you need more light?

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

I have booked with Edventure for March. I am opting for transportation to the Jungle Place as part of the tour. I had to book a time at the Jungle Place first and then arrange transportation with Ed and Bonnie. I am not much for ziplines ( when i was a kid a bunch of guys at a scout camp I was at rigged up their own zipline and a gruesome accident resulted, it put me off that for life) and I will be going to the ruins in a separate self-guided trip. So it will be cenotes, Jungle Place, turtles, lunch and Yal-ku in that order. I am looking forward to it.

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
219 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

Hi

There were 6 of us that did a private tour day with Edventure Tours and it was just the best day ever. We did the ruins, the cenote, lunch at an ocean front spot on the bay in Aklum and then snorkeling in Aklum. I strongly recommend the private tour. You can spend as much or as little time you want doing anything. We did this in September so the water in the cenote was actually very welcoming after the extreme heat and humidity.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
452 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just booked our Edventure Tour for May--itinerary ideas?

How are the water temps the end of April, first of May?