We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

London, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

So reading up, maybe a little too much, I will need to cream my lily white, red head children up with high spf sunscreen, but they love snorkelling, so how do i protect them from the sun and the sealice at the same time? I assume we'll only need bug lotion in the evening when we won't need sunscreen so that's that sorted.......? How do you lot do it?

Third time abroad ever, first time in Mexico....as a family that is.

Thanks

H

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

I agree...you've been reading up way too much.

Sea lice are seasonal and mostly a problem in the northern areas, bug lotion only for the rainy season, so that just leaves you with suntan lotion to deal with.

Toronto
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

Hello,

I am very faired skin and prone to bug bites. I have been to the Mayan Riviera many times and I have never needed bug spray. I am usually there in Jan/Feb timeframe. I have also never had any issues with sealice or any other unusual bug bites.

I would suggest that if your kids will be snorkeling for an extended period of time that they wear a t-shirt as well since the sun lotion will eventually wash off.

You also may want to look at getting a sun lotion that says "biodegradable" on the label. Many of the Eco parks only allow biodegradable lotions. Most major brands will have this on their label. Hawaiian Trpoics is an example.

If it makes you feel better, bring some bug spray lotion just in case but it should not be an issue.

Have a great time in paradise.

London, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

thank you so much, we will be there in April. Have not seen many biodegradable sun screens here but will check the pharmacy or it may be cheaper to buy it in playa.

new jersey
Level Contributor
401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

Sunscreen has to be reef safe, not just biodegradable. Hawaiian Tropics unfortunately does not qualify.

SPF rated t-shirts are good to reduce the risk of sunburn and reduce the need to keep applying sunscreen (my kids hate being "greased up," so I know!) LL Bean has shirts, pants and dresses that are high SPF rated, and they also make mosquito repellent shirts, although those are pricey.

Some people also recommend rash guards for swimming, but I haven't personally tried them.

Haven't heard about sealice, what are those?

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
518 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

My two red-headed fair kids have snorkeled for hours in the Caribbean and never burned . .. because they wear rash guard shirts (and daughter wears board shorts to avoid that nasty burn at back of upper thighs) We buy ours through lands end but Target also carries them for cheaper. We've never had sea lice problems . . . maybe just luck or because the rash guards also make it more difficult for them to get under the suits. The rash guards also help to keep from getting sand rash if they're into body surfing.

Taking your suit off right after getting out and rinsing also is a good idea.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

I burn thinking about the sun. Well maybe not so much now that I have old skin, but I still never go out without sunblock on. And I only use reef safe sunblock when I enter the sea. You should be able to find "reef safe" sunblock online, we order from:

tropicalseas.com/store/index.php…

Don't know if that is available to you in the UK. Try a seach if not you can find Mexitan in MX which is reef safe/biodegradable. Not terrible expensive either.

new jersey
Level Contributor
401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

Re: Rash guards- can you wear them out of the water or would you get too hot?

Reef safe sunblock is not waterproof so I dread having to reapply all the time, esp. at the ridiculous prices I'm seeing for those bottles. I'd rather have kids wear something, but rash guards look like they would be hot.

BC
Level Contributor
124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

Mexitan is reef friendly an well priced, so well that even with shipping to canada it was much cheaper that the very few I found in health food stores (and on sale right now). It is available online only and the shipping is very fast and customer service is very good. And very rarely (or not that I know of) reef friendly sunscreen is not biodegradable as the active ingredient is either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, and both being mineral based are not "technically" biodegradable" or so I have been told. So read your active ingredients and if it isn't either of those it may not be reef friendly even if it is biodegradable or environmentally friendly.

new jersey
Level Contributor
401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are both OK. So is avobenzone, interestingly enough, but it needs other chemicals to work so it's not used in those types sunscreens. I got a whole list of prohibited chemicals from Xcaret's customer service- oxybenzone, homosalate and a couple others..

You're right about Mexitan being more affordable than what's sold in stores. Badger is almost double the price for the quantity. I think Caribbean Sol is also fine, but I can't find a good enough picture to see if it says "bio-degradable" on the bottle. It's a little cheaper than Mexitan, so I'm still trying to find that out.

Still not clear on sea lice. All I found is that they are fish parasites. Do they feed off humans?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,027 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sunscreen, bug lotion and sea safe??? Which one when?

Re: Rash guards- can you wear them out of the water or would you get too hot?

Yes, they are very cool to wear