We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

ok i want some imput if this has happened to others before. We had booked our trip awhile ago and i went to pre book seats ( this was also a while ago) and they had NO 2 seats together... So our family of 3 are sitting all apart. Can they do that with a 4 year old? can they have a 4 year old sit with "strangers" without mom or dad beside him? we have 2 seats close but the iasle spilts us apart but we are still not next to each other. I'm afraid that he will refuse to sit beside people he doesn't know or annoy them or the people beside me b/c he will want to sit with and he normally sleep on me on the plane. what are people's thoughts on this? will the airline care as he is only 4 and seat atleast one of us with him.... or not do anything about it? I understand that everyone pays for thier seats as i do too and i would be upset if i paid and prebooked seats and got moved away from my significant other but he's only 4.... the airline BTW is AC, don't know if that make sa difference or not...

New England
Level Contributor
130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

i would call the airline and explain that your son is very nervous.scared to fly and is extremely shy. and only 4.... and so on.... and that you need to sit beside him. If this person can't help you, call back or ask to speak with a supervisor as that may be the only person that can help you. I would highly suggest resolving this before the day of flight. They usually hold a few seats, and it may appear sold out, but it isn't. Good luck

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

This hasn't happened to me, but I think it's safe to say that no airline will let a four year old sit on a plane without his parent or guardian next to him. It's just common sense. Furthermore, I'm sure no one wants to sit with a young child that is not supervised. I speak with love (I'm a elementary school teacher)

Before you work yourself into a frenzy, did you call the airline to speak about the issue? They are the ones to best help you with this and they should be able to resolve the changing of the seats.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

Last year on our trip to Disney they told us they did not have any seats together (!) for the 4 of us. I asked and asked but no go. The person at the gate looked at the seat numbers they assigned us and told me to stay with the kids until the person sitting next to them showed up. Then she said tell them "this is my (at the time 2 and 6 year old child). They are USUALLY good but if you need me I'll be 10 rows down and across and my husband is 5 rows up." Everyone who was supposed to sit on either side of them were HAPPY to sit elsewhere. A nice person actually volunteered to switch seats around so that I got to sit next to both of them.

LOL. That story still makes me chuckle. There are enough horror stories about kids on planes that people give you wide berth when you travel with them.

BTW my kids are awesome flyers. They either fall asleep as soon as the plane levels off or quietly watch the movie we pack them on the DVD player.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

Last year on our trip to Disney they told us they did not have any seats together (!) for the 4 of us. I asked and asked but no go. The person at the gate looked at the seat numbers they assigned us and told me to stay with the kids until the person sitting next to them showed up. Then she said tell them "this is my (at the time 2 and 6 year old child). They are USUALLY good but if you need me I'll be 10 rows down and across and my husband is 5 rows up." Everyone who was supposed to sit on either side of them were HAPPY to sit elsewhere. A nice person actually volunteered to switch seats around so that I got to sit next to both of them.

LOL. That story still makes me chuckle. There are enough horror stories about kids on planes that people give you wide berth when you travel with them.

BTW my kids are awesome flyers. They either fall asleep as soon as the plane levels off or quietly watch the movie we pack them on the DVD player.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

That's a funny story, Bizzy!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
625 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

Sorry for the multiple posts. Not sure if the iPad app is freaky or I am doing something wrong.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

on our last trip to Mexico, the travel agent booked us a middle and aisle, and another middle and aisle for a family of 4. Well, no window seat for the boys was not good. It just so happened that on the to and from flights...the people booked at the two window seats were a couple. Both were happy to switch and we sat 4 across and the boys took turns at the window seat.

I would think people would be happy to move to help you out! Good Luck!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

yes when i was trying to book seats i spoke to the girl who spoke to another girl and they said there is NOTHING they can do! they said " he's only across the iasle from you".... i said he's 4, just turned 4 yet... they said there is nothing they can do. So i called a supervisor and same thing. they told me that they hold back some seats and if go online 24hrs before i may be able to switch it. I said ok, but what if i can't get online at that time as i'm in mexico...duh.... they said that is all they can do, is if i go online 24hrs before and switch seats if i can otherwise there is nothing they can do. SO i was hoping that even at the desk checking in at the airport, they would change it, if possible..... we had our reserved seats taken once from us and placed in others... i know it has been done.and our son was 14 months at the time and we reserved specific seats b/c of that.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: seating on the plane with a 4 year old(not sitting together)

i sure hope that we have some "nice" people on our flight that will be willing to give up our seats for us.... I know many who don't want to be next to a child, so maybe i'll end up with one of them ,lol.... but there are many who don't care, they will stay right where they are... i'm trying not to worry myself about it too much but it still crosses my mind. As the trip comes closer and closer it crosses my mind...... 20 more days...