We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

Hi everyone, i would love some help pleeeease!

i am looking to book a 30th bday for my mrs in mid oct, but cant decide between cancun or pdc...

i have a 3 year old baby so i wont be clubbing, i know it would make sense to go to pdc due to this but im drwan to the "action" of cancun!?

tbh the best part of the hol will be spent on the beach, maybe walking around.....

thanks in advance....

is there much difference in the quality of beaches? i was just about to book the blue bay grand esmeralda in pdc but saw a review where the beach was far away from the hotel and was in the process of being rectified after the hurricane 3 years ago......thanks again

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

I doubt you will be seeing much action in downtown Cancun with a 3 year old. There is lots to do in PDC, I don't think you will be bored.

overland park, ks
Level Contributor
132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

There is a big difference in beach quality. Water is clearer and bluer in PDC. No rocks that I found. Sand has been completely redone approx 2 yrs ago after 2 hurricanes went thru. Coco Bongo now in PDC along w/ other more local bars and clubs. After spending all day in sun, I was ready for bed around 11pm anyway. W/ 3 yr old you'll be very lucky to stay up that late. Are other people going w/ you? Or do you think you can find babysitter until 3am?

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

There are a lot of hotels which come under PDC but are actually miles away so you are "trapped" in resort unless you get a taxi. I would look at the Playacar area of PDC. Playacar is fairly quiet but is not far from PDC centre. We stayed at the Riu Tequila which is about a 20 - 30 minute walk into the centre (or a $5 taxi ride) which has loads of shops etc. and also has a ferry terminal over to the island of Cozumel. There is also a shopping centre within about 100 yards of the hotel entrance. Cancun is a concrete jungle (which is fine for some people) with loads of shops restaurants and bars but from what I have seen of the beaches in Cancun, the beach at PDC looks far better.

Cheers

Keith

Edited: 16 February 2011, 19:16
CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

Playa is easy to walk around and has tons of action on 5th Ave. Cancun requires a bus ride to the tourist party zone or downtown (Parque las Palapas attracts many local families on weekends).

The only family AI right in PDC is the Gran Porto Real although there are many non-ai hotels and condos. Be sure to check out the links on the right under Top Questions for all kinds of area info. Have fun deciding!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

Playa!!playa!!Playa!!!!!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

It seems to me that if you are taking a 3 year old with you and won't be "clubbing" than the "action" in Cancun is a moot point. Unless you are taking a babysitter with you.

I've been to both. When we stayed in Cancun (with our 3 teenagers) we stayed at Club Med and had a blast! There was so much to do for the whole family (and I believe they have childcare and activities for preschoolers as well). Which is great if you want some time away from your kiddo, but you know they will be well cared for.

We only left the resort once, and I was not impressed with Cancun as a city. The hotel zone is just one large hotel after another with no space between. We didn't go into the "downtown" area or to the club/party scene, so I can't comment on that.

But we LOVED Playa del Carmen!! For me, it had so much more mexican "charm". We stayed at the Royal PDC and loved being able to walk to 5th Ave. There sister resort (next door) which I believe is the Gran Porto Real, accommodates children. The beach was beautiful and the town was a blast.

If it was my choice, and the town was the only consideration, I would choose Playa. If you want to have some "adult time" away from your child occasionally, then Club Med is a great option. But it is at the very END of the hotel zone and not close to the city "action". It is just a great resort to take children to.

Good luck!

bc canada
Level Contributor
411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

Hi ravio123

We just returned from 1 week in Playa and 1 week in Cancun. Playa is great for shopping and restaurants but you can only walk and shop down 5th ave. so often. All the locals merchants sell the same thing just different prices. IF staying right in playa with child you would have to stay at the Gran Porto Real (nice resort) but the beach in not very nice if you are a big beach person.

We loved Cancun . We stayed at the Royal resort. They have a sister resort next door that allow children the Gran Caribe. The beach in front of both hotels is fantastic. There is a mall across the street with the local merchants selling all the same stuff as Playa . There is another mall about a 15 minute walk from the resort . Hope this helps if you have any other questions PM me.

Marion, North...
Level Contributor
732 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

I have been to both, and for my money I would take Playa del Carmen anyday!

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there are many (if any) palm trees on the beach at the resorts in Cancun. We stayed in Playacar and there were lots of palms. Might seem silly, but I like my palm trees!

There is plenty of action in PDC if you want it. PDC also doesn't have the huge high rises that you see in Cancun.

minneapolis minn
Level Contributor
654 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP!!! Playa del Carmen or Cancun

i think most clubs in playa del carmen have age requirement of 4yrs old,,sorry,opps,maybe coco bongo lets in 3 yr olds now,lol