We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

i know that most places have them because of the tropical weather. but there has to be a hotel near the beach and convenient to everything that doesnt wanna make me vomit everytime i walk in the room. i'm more concerned about that than the loud music you hear in the night. i prefer modern furnishings with lots of sunlight. is it possible? any suggestions?

Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

I thought all rooms at resorts in the tropics smelled this way too. I went to Barcelo Colonial a couple of years ago and - no smell - for the first time. Last year my husband and I went with my sister and her husband to the Bahia Principe Coba. Our room faced out towards the pool area, there's faced trees. Our room had no musty smell but theirs did. So... I'm thinking if you are in a room that gets sun most of the day, it is less musty - maybe.

Edited: 20 February 2011, 21:56
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

In 2008 we stayed at the Occidental Xcaret and it was a smelly room. This year we were at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal in Building 68 (right on the beach), there was no smell.

Medford, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
354 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

No smell this year in an emerald suite at the VIM. Have had it in the past at most other resorts and brought all the febreeze, dryer sheets, candles and plug in room air fresheners that everyone recommended. No need for any of them this time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

thanks all for you input:. now crossing my fingers to avoiding those repulsive odors.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

The other possibility is to ask for a room with a dehumidifier in it. We did that in Punta Cana last year, and it made a huge difference. Maybe you can e-mail your resort to ask about this.

new jersey
Level Contributor
401 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

Did anyone try Damp Rid bags? Do they work? They're pretty expensive but I would buy if I knew they work.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

At the end of the day, who spends that much tme in their room? My husband has just been told that he has the all clear from a very serious illness, I honestly dont think that he will be worrying about smells in the room!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

Been in a tropical resort room every year for the last 26 years. I have never experienced such foul smells as mentioned. It's humid there. It's paradise but not heaven. lol We get mold growing here in the spring & summer months too.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

No smell in the standard rooms at the Valetin Imperial Maya - and I've been there twice.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mildew, musty, mold scented free hotel rooms?

Secrets Silversands is a brand new resort and has fresh,new rooms.