We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small gifts for locals??

canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Small gifts for locals??

I have a question - when I travel to Cuba I know the locals really appreciate small gifts (pens, pencils, candy etc.) Is this the case in Playa del Carmen? I certainly would not want to offend anyone.

Thanks!!

calgary,ab
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small gifts for locals??

In Cuba and DR these items are very hard to get. PDC and Cancun have the biggest Wal-Marts you have ever seen.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Small gifts for locals??

Thanks - I will stick with the monetary tipping!! :o)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small gifts for locals??

In addition to tipping (LOTS) I also brought Canada specific stuff for my favourite bartenders/maids/busboys, etc. - like Canada key chains (the long ones that you put around your neck), decks of cards with the Canadian flag on them, pens with the Canadian flag and Canada pins. The staff we gave this stuff too just loved it! We also brought some "I am Canadian" t-shirts one year that were quite a hit.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small gifts for locals??

If you are near Akumal, the library is desperately in need of donations, cash first and then other things. See blog

http://hekabbe.blogspot.com/

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Small gifts for locals??

I could really use some horseradish. ;)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small gifts for locals??

K2 I agree with the others . Money is always appreciated . We brought many school suppllies for our maids when we were at Secrets Punta Cana last week . Then we found out our maid had a 2 year old and I bought for older kids .

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small gifts for locals??

This time its going to be cash.....except I am buying a few New York Yankees baseballs caps to give away..............Actually that's good for anyplace....but particularly where I am going on March - to DOminican Republic - I am actually hoping I might get to go to a baseball game while I am there.

ONe time a few years ago I went to El Dorado Royale,....and brought tons of pens/pencils (and pencil sharpeners) etc.....I cash-tipped each day but every third day I left small gifts in a zip-lock bag along with the cash.

At the end of my VACA my maid (a guy) came to find me on the last day to thank me for the gifts - he had 1-2 small children in school and the supplies were very useful to them.

karen

Mentioned in this post
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
958 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small gifts for locals??

Mexico is not a third world country. I don't think they have a hard time getting certain supplies like the Dominican. Two very different countries. I am guessing money would be most appreciated.

When we were in DR, I wish I had known how much the local kids would have enjoyed a ball or two. Most of the kids I saw, were trying to play ball with everything BUT a ball.

Saint John, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small gifts for locals??

We are from Canada too, and last time we went to PDC (2002) we took U.S. single $ bills for tipping (I think the loonie's exchange rate wasn't as favourable as it is now, but I might take loonies this time ...) but we also took a dozen T-shirts from our local brewery (Moosehead) to give away, and we bought maple sugar in the shape of maple leafs - the latter being very popular with the maids! :-)

Ultimately, though - nothing says "I love you" like cold hard cash!

33 days and counting!