We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

Hi,

Starting to plan our holiday excursions so wondered...what are the 'must dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen for the first time for 2 weeks?

I've looked at the Chichen Itza but am put off by the comments about the sellers! We are going with First Choice and they have a variety of trips though I'm not sure if the price is over inflated or not.

Any help much appreciated.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

Lots of excursion info and things to do in PDC listed on the right under Top Questions.

You can book with tour operators in town, online and at your resort or go on your own by public transportation or rental car (more info >>>>)

Have fun!

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

I would do a day trip to Cozumel (East Side of Island)(Snorkeling out at Planacar Reef), Coba (Climb Ruins), Xcaret (night show), Akumal Bay (for the snorkeling with the turtles), 5th avenue at (night only), eating at some of the better restaurants in town (Yaxche), and last but not least, enjoy!

Art

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

Thanks Newkie. Would you not bother with Chichen Itza?

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

I would reccomend doing at least one of the ruins..Tulum,Coba,or Chitzen Itza. Pick one of em they are worth seeing. Over the years we have seen them all and they all have benefits to seeing them. I believe the one in Coba is the only one that you can still climb.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

We went to them all too. We went to Chichen last year and out of the three, that one is the most impressive. Much more to see than the other two. The vendors will ask if you want to buy you can either say no or just keep walking. They do have some good deals. BUT, nothing is free. : ) If they tell you that it is $10 US and they are holding a big statue, don't be surprised when they put it down and pick up a tiny one. lol

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

Dont book anything with first choice until youve spoken with.others first. We last went with FC and found the american tour operators in the hotel lobby were cheaper. Same goes for phone cards. Trips we did were all fantastic, chichen itza, speed boat to snorkel reef from cancun (you drive it) and xcarat which had a superb evening show which ties in nicely with everyghing you learn at chichen itza !

If you waNt more specific information on any of the above just message me and id be happy to tell.

Regards,

Carl

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

hello! i would go to cozumel for the day, tulum is pictureque, and i thought snorkling in a cenote was amazing! we have done all three in 2009 and coming back in june to go back to cozumel and find another cenote to swim in-my boyfriend got diver certified in jamaica this december, do he is excited about diving in the cenotes-they are really cool, if you are into natural rock formations. i dont think its possible to have a bad time in playa! cant wait to be back there! and we rarely go to the same vacation place twice! hurry up may 29th!!!!!!!!

Edited: 03 March 2011, 20:54
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

Xplor (spend the entire day there - fantastic zip lines!), Akumal - swim with the turtles, eat lunch at Lol Ha (sp?), Go to the town of Puerto Morales and walk around, grab a cold beer at Cantina Habaneros and shop in the cool shops for a more eclectic taste of Mexico.

Do the Selvatica Carona Rally - fun dune buggys driving through the jungle.

Since you are first timers - you might want to consider spending the day with Edventures - you get to see/do a lot and they take care of you!

Enjoy!!!

Beechluver

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

swim in a cenote

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
187 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the 'must-dos' when staying in Playa del Carmen?

The tour of Coba with the mayan lunch, rappell,canoe ride with cenote and then the zipline is really good...it's all day but alot of fun. It was with some ecotour company. Dinner on the beach at Fusion is the absolute best! Have fun!