We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin or Royal PDC??

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
467 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Valentin or Royal PDC??

Right now I'm booked for 14 days at VIM in July. Since I've been home with a broken foot and had nothing else to do, I poked around online enough figured out I can go to the RPDC for $95 pp more. I'm not sure what to do, haven't been to either. We are a group of 5, it's a girl's trip, with our 18 and 22 year old daughters also going. Is RPDC more of a couples resort?

We usually like the pool a lot, would love to be where there is a nice beach, food matters, but we're not "foodies." In December we were at Secrets Wild Orchid in Jamaica and loved it, especially the size of the resort. We don't usually do a lot of excursions, other than a trip to Akumal for a day, usually head into PDC for one day or night of shopping.

So my question is, is it worth it to change hotels? And if we do, it would mostly be for the 18 and 22 year old girls to be near the action. Is it safe for them to go alone in the evening to the bars? It's not really a vacation if I have to worry about them every night, so would it make more sense to go to the VIM and avoid worrying?

Any helpful opinions and thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

~~Sue

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

We have been to both & we loved the Royal. We are returning for our 2nd time this May (The Royal in Cancun was great as well) I would switch in a heartbeat if it were me. The VIM was nice but nothing over the top for us, nothing really wowed us. The Royal is so much more luxurious & the staff are the best in the business, always bending over backwards & pampering us to death. The Royal is not for couples only, there are tons of "girls getaways" all of the time, you will not feel out of place by any means whatsoever. Yes Playa is very safe especially if they go alone, just as long as they use common sense of coarse. You will have no reason to worry, 5th Ave. is safe day or night & the Royal is only one block, walking distance, away. Another great thing is that your gang will also have use of the sister resort, The Gran Porto Real, right next door if you book the Royal. Hope this helps.

Maryland
Level Contributor
467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

Thanks so much. The Royal really does look much nicer, the reviews are way better, I just didn't want to worry while I'm there every night.

~~Sue

wilmington nc
Level Contributor
915 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

We love VIM, just because it is so beautiful,&peaceful, beach and water are much nicer, you can walk on wide uncrowded beaches, unlike the royal which is packed with people, and narrow.

the night life at the VIM was awesome, they have a dj , and live bads in the plaza until 2am, dancing under the stars in the plaza, beats going to a crowed dance club ib playa...Thr Royal does not have any entertainment, except a show in the lobby bar that stars at 8pm, was not that great, except for the michael jackson one.

we had the best service at VIM both times we went, most recently jan 11....the royal also has wonderful service as well....The beds are equally comfy at both places...and the food is about the same at both..which was .very good.......depends if you like a busier atmosphere , or a more relaxed spread out island feel ...like the VIM...for us we love the nightly entertainment right at the resort,otherwise we are walking around playa looking for some action at night....PM me if you have any questionns....Dee

Maryland
Level Contributor
467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

Dee, thanks so much for the response. Now I'm really confused, I do like a resort type atmosphere, and don't care too much about being able to walk to the bars and restaurants. On the other hand, I don't want to be somewhere that the "younger girls" are bored. Is there enough for them to do at the VIM? I get the feeling the Royal is more "happening" at the Royal. It seems that everyone loves it, so I figured the $95 was a good deal to change, but maybe the cost of the resort doesn't really matter. Oh, what to do now?

Thanks, I might PM you with more questions.

~~Sue

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

Go to the Royal. It's a nicer resort and closer to town so the girls won't be bored

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

IMO, there will be a lot more for the younger girls to do if you stayed at the Royal, they can walk to 5th Ave day or night and the main activities pool is just that during the day, very active & a ton of fun. The entertainment staff at the Royal around the pool/beach areas are the absolute best & you just can't compare them w/ the pool/beach staff at the VIM (apples & oranges) No one walked around spraying me w/ a cool mister, handed me frozen grapes & or cleaned my sunglasses at the VIM. No books, magazines or lotions were offered either (had to throw that in there just for comparison sake)

Yes I agree w/ Dee, some of the shows at the RPDC are not the greatest but neither are some of the shows at the VIM. If it rains & you are at the VIM there is not much in the way of entertainment at night period & you are stuck unless you take a cab elsewhere. If your priority is that you don't want the girls to be bored & you want a happening place then trust me the Royal is the best option. Like I said the VIM was nice, huge but nice. The pools there were awesome, the beach area was larger albeit but imo the RPDC is more opulent & was also much more enjoyable in regards to the service, food, staff, suites, location etc... Hopefully others will chime in & agree.

Edited: 03 March 2011, 13:29
Florida
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

I also would definitely go for the Royal, especiall for only $95 more. I have to agree with hailtotheredskins. There is no wow factor at the VIM. The girls will have much more fun at the Royal. July is not high season so it could be rather quiet at the VIM. When it's slow, the DJ packs up early.

Maryland
Level Contributor
467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

Thanks for all the info. I think we're going to change to the Royal, frozen grapes sold me! Before I do, I have a couple of questions about the Royal though. I stayed at Gran Porto last year and really did not like it. Among the reasons were that I didn't like it were that we changed our room 2x because the view was of a roof and noisy, the food was just okay, there was no swim-up bar at the pool and there was no smoking while in the pool, i.e. standing by the edge with a drink, not floating across the pool on a raft. While I'm not trying to start a discussion on smoking, I smoke, I know it's not good for me, and I definitely do not leave butts on the beach or smoke around people and put it in their face. In other words, I try to be a considerate smoker. Having said all that, what is the smoking policy at the Royal? From what I seen here on TA, the rooms look nice, but I haven't seen any with 2 beds. Is that an option?

Thanks all for your help. I'm going to make the change today if I can get some more info, so I won't be bothering everyone with these questions for weeks. That said, I might find more info I need and will be back in the weeks to come!

~~Sue

wilmington nc
Level Contributor
915 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

yes i agree, Thr royal would be better for the girls...but for a nice chill out vacation for adults i would go to VIM...it's all about what you like in a resort....but for young girls playa is a blast!!

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin or Royal PDC??

The Royal is definitely the right choice!! The location can't be beat,and the level of service and food quality will amaze you!!

As for the smoking as long as there is no roof you can smoke there. Anywhere outside at the pool/beach..whereever you want. Enjoy your vacation you will love the Royal!!