We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone service?

Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phone service?

We currently have AT&T as our cell phone provider. Does anyone know if there is cell service in the playa del carmen area? We added it to our plan on a previous trip to Mexico(different area) only to find once we got there our phones did not work.

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
776 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone service?

Yes, it works fine in PDC

granbury texas
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phone service?

our phone works fine as well.. if you have a iphone or any kind of smart phone make sure your data roaming feature is off...could be a big surprise when you get your next bill..:)

granbury texas
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phone service?

PS, make sure if you are calling back to the states you enter the us calling code of 1..if you do not call will not go thru..cheers

granbury texas
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phone service?

oops sorry just realized you are canadian..my bad..not sure what your country code is but you will still need to enter

Fairfield,CT
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phone service?

As stated above , turn data OFF or IT WILL be a huge surprise when u get home...smartphones constantly are communicating with the networks & chew up huge amounts of data megabytes charges

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phone service?

Can anyone speak from experience: If one has a Verizon iPhone with the unlimited data package, will it still run up huge charges in Mexico? Is it worth it to contact Verizon and get some sort of short term plan or allowance??

Thanks!

granbury texas
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phone service?

mt_travler, if your data is on roam it will incur pretty hefty roaming charges while in mexico, do contact Verizon because you will most likely need to add a international calling plan, they can do a specific for Mexico, with my AT&T phone it is about 5 dollars a month, then you can just cancel when you return home, keep in mind even calling will incur roaming charges so if you have kiddos you need to keep in touch with keep it short and sweet. If you have a laptop you may want to look into Skype, I have not used it in mexico yet myself but maybe someone else could give you more info on how that works..

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phone service?

"If one has a Verizon iPhone with the unlimited data package, will it still run up huge charges in Mexico?"

Yes. The "unlimited" aspect of smartphone data packages refers to within your own country and on your own carrier's network. In Mexico, you will not be in your own country or on Verizon's network. You will get billed, and possibly very substantial amounts indeed, if you go to Mexico with no special additional international data plan in place and you proceed as you would at home, just walking around anywhere and connecting and downloading and so forth at will. You really, _really_ do not want to do this.

Steve

Edited: 05 March 2011, 23:56
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phone service?

Here are contrasting examples for you from AT&T. Arriving in Mexico with an international data plan in place, I received this test mssg alert from AT&T:

"Your international data plan is 20MB with $5.12/MB overage.Track usage in Settings>General>Usage>Reset Statistics. Details: att.com/global. AT&T Free Msg"

I paid around 25 USD for that plan. That's expensive, considering 15 USD per month will get you 10 times the data within the US. But it's much, _much_ cheaper than international data roaming, as you can see in this text mssg alert from a later trip, when I did not purchase such a package:

"International data rate of $19.97/MB applies. Unlimited domestic data rate plan does NOT apply in this location. Details: att.com/global. AT&T Free Msg"

So, 25 bucks for 20 MB (still not much) if buying an int'l plan in advance, but 20 bucks for just 1 MB if not. And note the second sentence of that second alert, in case there's still any confusion.

Steve

Edited: 06 March 2011, 00:04
Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell Phone service?

Thank you all for your replies. It makes sense about the unlimited data plan not being unlimited in foreign countries -- I'm a new smartphone owner.... Can't wait to get there and start enjoying! Only 25 days now.