We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with 17-18 year old girls

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
traveling with 17-18 year old girls

Our friends and us are thinking of booking a trip to Playa Del Carmen area with our high school girls. We need a recommendation on a resort that would be nice for adults but activity for the girls. We are looking for an all-inclusive resort.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

The Royal.

; )

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

I agree that the Royal is a great resort. But you might doing some checking with them as it is adults only. My understanding was that noone under 18 was allowed. It is a great place with a lot going on and right off 5th Ave. You would truly have everything at your fingertips.

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

The Royal is 16 & over so no worries if you decide to stay there.

Edited: 08 March 2011, 23:32
Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

How close to the action do you want your girls to be? Since my FOUR sons all take after their Dad, at that age we booked a nice secluded AI in Cozumel. I figured I'd reduce the chances of getting into trouble.

The Gran Porto Real and the Royal are right on fifth ave. We hit the clubs quite a few nights as they are only a couple of blocks away.

Only you know your girls so if this isn't a concern either the GPR or Royal would be good choices. My friend takes their family to Bluebay Grand Esmeralda every year and they started when they were your girls ages.

How familiar are you all with the Latin male attitude? Have you all been to Mexico before? If so where and what did you like?

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,273 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

Look into the Iberostar and Barcelo resorts. Lots of activities to keep them busy right there on site.

Your 18 year old will be old enough to get alcoholic drinks.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

Barcelo Palace

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
765 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

The Royal is a great resort but I'm not sure a 17 & 18 year old would like it. The Gran Porto next door, may be a better choice. I have to agree with the statement about The Iberostar resorts, I think everyone could have a good time there. They have a disco on site and plenty for them to do. Have never been to The Rui's in Playa so others could let you know on that one. I know the drinking age is 18 but I am sure a 17 yr. old would easily be served. I think the difference between a good time for all of you will be in the resort you pick and I would usually say anywhere in Playa is great. They are still young enough to worry about and old enough to think you shouldn't. Have a great trip.

ek
San Carlos, Ca.
Level Contributor
865 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

Very interesting post. I am thinking of vacationing in Playa with my just 20 and 16 year old sons. I would love them to have fun and meet nice folks their own age, but am a little concerned about proximity to 5th Ave. Neither is the ultra party animal but both like to have fun. I am also interested in a resort that will have enough for them to do that they don't NEED to go to 5th to have a good time.

Sorry if I hijacked your post.

\

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,273 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

ek,

The Iberostar Paraiso complex would fit all your requirements. LOADS of activities all day to keep them occupied and far enough from Playa that they would have to take the shuttle or a taxi to get there.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
668 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traveling with 17-18 year old girls

We've taken our teenagers to Playa several times... wouldn't let them go on "class trips" to Cancun and wouldn't let them vacation without us.

A few of the places we've been:

- Allegro = Average

- Reef Club = Small but a good bargain for the price

- Sandos Playacar = They loved it! Their favorite.

- Playacar Palace = We loved it, the kids were bored.

We like to stay in the Playacar area because it's so close to 5th Ave. Kids liked to get away from the AI and go into town (with parents of course:-)

Happy Planning!