We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back, about safety

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
just back, about safety

hello, we just got back last night from another vacation in Playa. I know that there has been a lot on here lately about safety and I thought I would share my thoughts having just returned. We travelled with kids and parents, we walked to Walmart, we walked the beach day and night, we took the colectivo to Tulum and Akumal, we shopped on and off of fifth avenue, we ate in out of the way spots and did many other things that made our vacation special. Not once, did it ever occur to me to be nervous in any way. It is a complete non-issue, so much so, that when you go and experience it yourself you may just feel a little foolish for being concerned in the first place! I 100% feel safer in Playa (and always have!)than I do in my own city that is quickly gaining a rep for violence. Really, let this put your fears to rest once and for all.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
298 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back, about safety

Thank you for that post. I'm going in early April and this will be our first time to Playa, so it's very reassuring to hear that it was safe. When I read some of the posts about corrupt police or other crimes I of course let my imagination run wild. This put it back into perspective. :)

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back, about safety

Popcorn, thx for the update, glad to hear things have not changed in Playa. Havent been to PDC in few years but will be going back in 21 more sleeps. My wife and I will be accompanied for the first time here by our 3 kids and another family of 4. None have ever been to Playa before and I cant wait to share it with them.

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just back, about safety

I concur.

Just got back from Playa the other day as well. Wife and I, two daughters 12 and 15. We went on several excursions, walked the beach, the town, day and night. Never felt unsafe for even a second.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: just back, about safety

Walking the beach at night where there is not other people is probably not the smartest thing one could do...IMO

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: just back, about safety

Walking the beach at night where there is not other people is probably not the smartest thing one could do...IMO

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back, about safety

I wouldnt do it myself...walking the beach at nite, but it's nice to know you can, without issue.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just back, about safety

If staying at the AI, it is OK to walk their beach at night too as most of them are patrolled at night as well. When we come to the beach before going to sleep to sit for awhile and listen to the waves, we often see the lonely figure of the security guy keeping eye us.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: just back, about safety

Well that is also the case at many non-AI properties in town, too, you know. :-)

Steve

alberta
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just back, about safety

We walked the stretch of beach from the ferry to our condo at El Faro- along the way we saw a soccer game going on under the streetlamps at the square by the beach, many occupied tables at La Terraya, live music and dancing at Fusion, a security guard at Playa Maya and then our condo. Yes, you can walk that stretch of beach- it's not exactly deserted!

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just back, about safety

I just got back last night too popcorngirl. Maybe we were on the same flight. I had absolutely no concerns about safety but then I didn't expect that I would. Playa is the opposite of intimidating. A very inviting place to walk around both before and after the sun goes down.