We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curious about corporate bookings (how to avoid them)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Topic
Curious about corporate bookings (how to avoid them)

I had all but decided on SMB for our next trip but the recent reviews regarding the 200+ corporate party taking over the resort leaves me worried. I'm curious about how the 2011 Trip Advisor winner for Romance would allow their guests to receive virtually no space nor quiet for romance while their corporate guests monopolize the pool, restaurants and night club.

It's made me wonder if people check on corporate bookings before making their own reservations? I hadn't thought of that before, but we are actually wide open each week of the month we plan to travel, so could choose really any dates. Would our travel agent be able to check with the resort about any corporate parties taking place during what dates? How far in advance do these events get booked?

Just curious what other people think and if there's a way to avoid the large groups. I'm planning on spending upwards of $4k for a week at SMB and I would be livid to be overrun in such a way while trying to have a special anniversary trip with my husband.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curious about corporate bookings (how to avoid them)

That's a good question. We are booked for SMB in May and read the same reviews. I have been reading the reviews since at least November, though, when I was trying to find a resort and then continued to read them as I get excited for my trip. In 5 months, this is the first time I've read (on multiple sites) about such a large corporate party! That makes me a little less worried about encountering such an issue, but I'm wondering if this is a new trend? I have read about small groups of about 20 or so, but definitely not 200! I assume if such a large group had been there in the past 5 months, someone would have complained somewhere! lol I suppose that it won the award for romance, but that doesn't mean SMB markets itself only to those looking for romance. Hopefully we don't have this issue!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Curious about corporate bookings (how to avoid them)

Most resorts do take corporate/convention bookings from time to time as it is brings in a lot of money which is why they have conference facilities.

Most tend to do it during the low season and unless you check with the resort you have no way of knowing

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Curious about corporate bookings (how to avoid them)

If I'm correct that large group was the Preferred Club corporate group. This only happens once a year and it's not always the same resort. Maybe next year they will choose silver sands, Capri or another preferred resort and it may not be even in Mexico.

I think you'll be fine cause SMB pretty much rocks!

=D

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Curious about corporate bookings (how to avoid them)

I was at SMB from 2/27 - 3/6. For half the week, the resort was quiet. Then at least 2 corporate groups checked in. Yes, the resort was crowded in the day but at night we didn't run into issues becauses they had their own events. On separate nights they had cocktail parties and awards dinners, so that lessened the crowds at the restaurants. So even if there are corporate events, it could still be a good trip. The groups didn't detract from our experience.

Disclaimer: We are beach people and were less affected by crowds in the day than pool people would be.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Curious about corporate bookings (how to avoid them)

I don't understand your concern. The goal of any hotel is to book to capacity. If they don't - they won't make it. What difference does it make if it's one group or many, many couples.

6. Re: Curious about corporate bookings (how to avoid them)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 01:17