We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

London
Level Contributor
627 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

Hi folks

My husband an I will be staying at SMB in August for two weeks and need help planning a few excursions.

We think Tulum ruins would be perfect but are a bit stuck for further ideas.

Im pretty much scared of everything- fish, lizards, butterflys, flying etc etc (Im a wimp!). It goes without saying I dont like having to battle through vegetation as this usually hides creatures!

What else could we do that would would you recommend we AVOID!

Thank you in advance

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

Avoid Mexico

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

There are Iguanas everywhere at Tulum...in saying that there is no need to be scared of them they are not interested in you. But if you REALLY are scared of butterflies it might be a challenge for you.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

Well, here's the thing - iguanas and geckos abound at every resort I've every been to in this region, so if you really do have a problem with lizards, this is not a great destination for you. Moreover, you might see fish in the ocean; it is, after all, where they live. I don't recall seeing hoards of them but I wouldn't rule out seeing a butterfly or two either.

With the greatest of respect, I think an urban destination would be much more suitable for you than the oceanside/jungle one that you've chosen.

However, in the interests of trying to provide a constructive response, a visit to a cenote or two is, IMHO, a must. Of course, that invariably involves walking down a jungle pathway and sometimes entering into a cave (I don't know if the latter bothers you).

Tulum is great (wonderful location, so-so ruins) but lots of iguanas, so I suspect you're not gonna like that much. Coba ruins are, IMHO, infinitely superior but again, located in the jungle.

Again with the greatest of respect, have you considered seeking therapy? I can't help but think your myriad of fears must be holding you back from enjoying many of the wonders of this planet.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

How about one of the many boat trips that will be available at your resort, or a trip to coco bongos for entertainment, dance and fun, you could catch the ferry to Cozumel for the day or have a day looking round 5th Avenue if you like shopping???

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

Maybe a visit to a petting zoo before you go to ease you into the different wildlife and calm your fears.

London
Level Contributor
627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

Om my, thanks for all your posts already.

Im scared of these things but so long as they are not going to be approaching me/ so long as I can avoid them I will be fine. I doubt I will swim in the sea because of my fish fear but I also dont want my phobias to hold me back.

We are opting for an urban holiday for our family in 4weeks so a beach holiday was a must in August..

a boat trip sounds fab, does anyone know how I can find out more?

Thank you all

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

The boat trips will usually be available within the hotel complex at your resort, several companies will be offering them, or wander down the beach and see whats on offer.

The ferry to Cozumel would be good, too you just buy a ticket on the day at the port in Playa del Carmen 5th Avenue.......you catch the ferry next to Senor Frogs Bar, then enjoy a lovely day shopping, having lunch or walking along the beach in Cozumel

Enjoy

Edited: 18 March 2011, 13:32
West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

Also, are you ok with heights? You can try parasailing which is fun (and only a short time commitment). Naughtbutnice had really good suggestions.

Edited: 18 March 2011, 13:39
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,888 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

If you’re there for two weeks, how about a nice trip to Isla Mujeres? It’s a bit long for a day trip but certainly doable. You hop on the ADO bus on 5th ave in PDC, then from the Cancun bus station take a 5 dollar cab to the Gran Puerto ferry which will take you to Isla. Once there, you can rent a golf cart and tour around the island, a very popular pass time, spend some time in Centro shopping and people watching, then have lunch in one of the great restaurants. Count on about 1 ½ hour travel time each way, give or take.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,047 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scared of pretty much everything, advice please

Personally, I find the thought of a trip to Coco Bongo's pretty terrifying....

Crowds, noise, makes me shudder. Not to mention it doesn't even open until my bed time.....