We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this happen at other resorts???

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Does this happen at other resorts???

While we were at the Riu Tequila only a few weeks ago there is something that seems to bother me even after I am home.

We were hanging out at the Riu Yucatan pool during the day and we would have our lunches at the Beach Club overlooking the ocean.

It was a more casual atmosphere, but good food.

The one thing that spoiled it for me was the men that walked around thinking they were "all that" with no shirts on. They were helping themselves to food with their chests full of hair and armpit hairs hanging out from under their arms. Im sorry if this is tmi !

No modesty whatsoever and I am equally disappointed in the resort for allowing this.

It was a good way to lose your appetite !!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Tequila
Hotel Riu Tequila
8,462 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

look at it as a kind of diet.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

What are you going to control next...who can wear bikinis?

If you don't want to see people in skimpy clothing, perhaps you should consider a ski vacation.

Stay thirsty my friends.

3. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 21:56
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
866 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

Most resorts make you have a shirt or coverup on.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

Was this a buffet or were they eating their own plate of food?

If their own food, give them a break. They're on vacation, eating lunch at a casual beachside restaurant.

Just because men are walking around shirtless doesn't mean they were thinking anything.

I guess I think when you eat at what you describe as a 'Beach Club', you can expect folks to be in swimwear, whether they're men or women.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

It annoys me when people are so critical of others. Why would anyone care if someone shaves their underarms? Yea, in the US it seems to be the cultural 'norm', but why is it any different than men not shaving?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

Not sure what the Beach Club at the Riu Tequila is like, but if it's an actual restaurant, I would expect shoes & shirts. However, if it's a beach bbq type buffet set up outside, than most guests just get up from their lounger and grab a bite. I would probably be one of those in just my bathing suit & no shoes, sans the hairy parts.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Tequila
Hotel Riu Tequila
8,462 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
20,786 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

Jean, I think the OP meant men, not women. And I have to agree with at least put a shirt on when you go into a restaurant, I don't care how informal or casual it is.

manitoba
Level Contributor
312 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

Was at Sandos in December and took my son in the beach buffet really quickly to grab a burger to go. I had a tankini bathing suit on (so top covered like a tank top)with a sarong from my waist to my ankles. I was asked to leave.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does this happen at other resorts???

cubaboundmanitoba ~ was this buffet out in the open poolside or on the beach in the sand where guests are always just walking around in bathing suits without shoes, or was it in a beach side restaurant?