We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for picking a resort for elderly inlaws???

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for picking a resort for elderly inlaws???

We just got back from our second visit to Playa Del Carmen (written review in progress) and my husband's elderly parents again wistfully suggested how much they'd love to go. We have a few concerns regarding the 2 of them, mobility being the most important...or rather, their lack of mobility.

Neither are in wheelchairs, but walkers are not out of the question, or possibly scooters (if I recall, Xcaret park had them to rent?) We tend to do a ton of walking when we travel so this is a new concept for us...

Has anyone experience travelling with their elderly parents or have advice on specific resorts that would be more accessible for them?

Marion, North...
Level Contributor
732 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for picking a resort for elderly inlaws???

HI Gypsi, I remember what it was like to have elderly inlaws. So whatever you do, choose a small resort and a downstairs room. I think somewhere close to Playa too. Maybe Viva Azteca? I know that it's been popular with older people. We stayed at Viva Maya last summer and had a chance to visit Azteca, and it seemed to me that it was fairly easy to navigate. You'll have a more sedate trip this next time for sure! Look in the forums and see what info people with mobility issues have found.

I think it's sweet that they want to go, what an awesome bonding time for your family! Good luck!

2. Re: Advice for picking a resort for elderly inlaws???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 10:20