We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunderstorms?

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Thunderstorms?

I've heard if thunderstorms are in the forecast that sometimes the weather doesn't hit the beaches. Anyone experience this in the past?

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
820 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thunderstorms?

Don't even pay attention to the forecasts :) If you get a "thunderstorm" it usually lasts 5 to 10 minutes and actually cools things down and feels nice!

Michelle

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thunderstorms?

And they are pretty spectacular!

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thunderstorms?

I don't know why they are always forecasting rain...when it does rain it only lasts for a few minutes and then the sun is back out.

Chesterton, Indiana
Level Contributor
352 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thunderstorms?

I once turned on the television while there to see the forcast....... just once.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thunderstorms?

they dont always forecast rain. for some reason people look at a forecast that says 10% or 40% chance of scattered showers or something similar and decide the forecast says rain.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thunderstorms?

While we were there on aprox. March 9, there was a thunderstorm, and it lasted a lot longer than 10 minutes. More like all afternoonand VERY intense. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but yes, the area does get storms that last longer than a few minutes. Why stress over something one has resolutely no control over?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
825 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thunderstorms?

We had some nasty thunderstorms last July. Thankfully most of them were during the night. There were a few storms in the late afternoon that went on for hours. It made getting to dinner alittle tricky!!

Mary

Eagle, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
254 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thunderstorms?

They also get huricains, Tropical storm, water spouts, but that is not the norm. They get alot more of 10 - 15 minute deals than the all dayers. Kind of like the rest of the world.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,029 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thunderstorms?

A few weeks ago we had a real good storm. Started about 5PM and lasted til 6:30PM. From the deck of my 4th story condo, I could see it coming across the Caribbean. We were right on the beach with nothing to block the view. It rained so hard it came through the cracks of the doorwall. My Mexican buddies have told me the lightening stays in the sky and never hits the ground in Playa. This one didn't either, just rain. It was the only rain we saw in 10 days, 82° F and sunny with little humidity. We dined under the stars that night.

Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thunderstorms?

What about in June? I just read it averages over 23 inches in June. Of course that's when I planned our trip because school's out. (teachers)