We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A travel agent told me

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
825 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
A travel agent told me

that if i book on line (which i do) with Orbitz, Bookit, Expedia, etc that i have a much greater chance of being bumped from the resort because i didn't use a travel agent. How true is this?

FWIW i booked the VIM on Orbitz last year. We actually got a free upgrade from their 'regular room' to an emerald suite. I used Orbitz again for our upcoming trip to CPM in July.

Mary

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,762 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A travel agent told me

I would say your TA is just trying to get you to book with them

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A travel agent told me

I think that there may be some truth to that, not about booking with a TA but the fact that the hotels are less likely to bump you if you are with a large tour agency like Apple or Air Transat Vacations etc.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A travel agent told me

I don't believe bumping is a common issue in July anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't used a travel agent in years and (knock on wood) have never been bumped - but then, I don't travel during peak season.

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A travel agent told me

I have used Expedia last 2 trips. paid a cheap price- got a cheap room. was able to pay extra for upgrade at hotel.

so it would make sense that if someone was to get bumped it would be person that paid cheapest price.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A travel agent told me

WOW! Yeah, I would say that your agent is just trying to get you to book with them. I've been traveling to Mexico for 22 years now. If someone is getting bumped, it's because the hotel themselves have over booked. They give a certain number of rooms to each vendor to sell out for them. It's just a numbers game.

However, I woudln't worry about it. You probably won't get bumped no matter who you book with. If you get there early enough in the morning... your chances are better for getting what you paid for. I've never had a problem. They tried bumping me once... I said "no" I got what I wanted. lol

I hope you have a great trip!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A travel agent told me

I don't know how he/she would know that. Is someone polling those bumped to find out where they booked?

Anyway, if you want to support local employment, it's a good idea to present your great deal that you found on these sites and see if they will match it. Many will and then you have an specific person to talk to should you need someone.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
287 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A travel agent told me

What is this "bumped" business you guys are talking about?

Jim

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A travel agent told me

Your TA just wants her commission that is why she wants you to book with her.

My dearest friends is a travel agent and she has seen many other travel agents laid off throughout the years because so many consumers are now booking online. Your TA is just trying to keep making a living and wants to keep as many of her customers to keep booking through her so she can make her commission rather than booking online.

P.S. I don't even book trips with my friend, with no bad feelings, as she even knows it is cheaper quite often to book online.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A travel agent told me

planetjim ~ It's not how you want to start your vacation! It means there's no room at the Inn for you and you've got to be moved elsewhere.

Chesterton, Indiana
Level Contributor
352 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A travel agent told me

I once booked flights through Travelocity months ahead of time to get to the airport and have the Airline say they never confimed it. had to take a later flight and travelocity did give me a credit.