We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is anyone else out there always the planner?

Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is anyone else out there always the planner?

I plan all of my friends girls trips. I enjoy doing it, but sometimes I get the "she always picks where we go" If I didn't we wouldn't go anywhere! The same goes for my family vacations! I'm always scared the place is going to suck, but thanks to TA we've always gone to nice places.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

DW always jokes that all she has to do is throw some clothes in a bag, grab passport, and follow me. I'm the detail-oriented one, and I like it, so it works out just fine.

Eagle, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

I have planned a dozen or so trips for up to 7 couples at one time. It use to bother me the same way. How will everyone like the hotel. Did I get the best prices and so on. Now I just plan what I would like to do and go where I want to go and if anyone wants to come along I will set them up with us. That way it will be their fault if they don't like something. They didn't have to ask to go along.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

I'm training 4 of my kids. They are getting pretty good.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

I always plan and do everything for my family! My hubby and I knew we wanted to take a vacation and he told me to just do it all, and hed be okay with... well i think part of the fun is planning it together. Well i chose The Royal at Playa Del Carmen. We havent ever been, but there is also another couple going who hasnt ever been either! I just hope everything is perfect bc i feel bad bc i chose it all!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

In the beginning, I was always bummed that my husband wouldn't really be of much help with the trip planning. But now I actually enjoy doing the research and selecting. Then I get to surprise him! He's always been happy with where I have chosen -- except maybe once when I kind of got stuck with something, because it was the spur of the moment, and we were on a tight budget that year.

Here is where we have been :

Temptations (formerly Blue Bay) in Cancun - twice

El Dorado Royale - Riviera Maya

RIU Caribe - Cancun

Reef Club - Playa del Carmen

RIU Yucatan - Playa del Carmen

Paladium - south of Playa (way south)

I can tell you which we liked least (Reef) but I can't tell you which I liked best. All the rest of them were great in their own ways!

Mentioned in this post
Blue Bay
Blue Bay
Mauritius
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

I'm with the poster who said if he/she didn't do the planning they wouldn't go any where. Same here.

He does get some say as to where we go, but, not much......

Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

Old Traveler,

I heard my daughter on the phone the other day planning her spring break with friends for senior year. (She's a sophomore!) Made me smile. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

Way to go Cruiser.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
961 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

I am definitely the planner in my family and work and friend group.My best friend is a travel agent but still let's me do the planning for our trips .Thanks to TA we have enjoyed amazing vacations.People on this forum and the others I go on for planning are the best!!Thanks all!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is anyone else out there always the planner?

Ooh Yeh! I use Microsoft's "Streets and Trips" to plan our trips to the USA and Canada, and start roughing in a trip more than a year in advance.

My husband is always very happy with my planning and calls them my Magical Mystery Tours but I ALWAYS have to nag him into taking an extra few weeks off.

I carry ALL our bookings in text format plus jpeg scans of all documents including passports on a memory stick that hangs around my neck for the entire trip.

This has only ever paid off once; we got to Hawaii to be told we were booked for the 24th NOT the 31st. We HAD been, but I had changed it 3 months previously and received confirmation. When I produced the confirming email the hotel staff were so embarrassed they upgraded us to oceanfront for free. SCORE ONE FOR THE PLANNERS!