We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian dollars

We have already exchanged some of our |Canadian Dollars to Pesos. Wondering if we took Canadian funds can we exchange them at the ATM, or the Banks in Playa Del Carmen. Thanks!

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
811 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian dollars

Hi,

My friend just got back from Puerto Vallarta and she only used Canadian Dollars. She got a better exchange rate than bringing USD. Only thing is they don't take Cad loonies and toonies.

Michelle

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian dollars

An ATM does not exchange money,it will only give you money, you can take in your Canadian dollars into a bank and exchange but you will not get as good of an exchange rate that you would in Canada. Your better off to just bring some peso's with you for tips for when you first get there and use your debit card to get peso's at the ATM's as you need it. If you happen to deal with Scotia bank there are no fee's.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian dollars

Thanks for answering my question! I thought I had read it somewhere on this form but could not find it... Not worried about the exchange as I may not need to exchange any but I do like to shop on 5th |Ave. We are used to getting a lousy exchange. We have been to Cuba many times and last year I was so mad that the exchange rate at our resort was 28% on the Canadian Dollar . Thanks again!!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian dollars

Ginger, I'm confused. What did you mean by, "......the exchange rate at our resort was 28% on the Canadian Dollar."?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian dollars

Unfortunatly the convertable peso in Cuba isn't traded on the open markets , soooo they basically exchange it at any rate that is decided by- the banks I guess. plus some % if exchanged at the hotel like all placed.

Edited: 30 March 2011, 02:29
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,845 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian dollars

Here was my Nov & Jan review on using Cnd $ and ATMS

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k407…

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian dollars

Thanks, everyone for your help............leaving for the airport in one hour!

8. Re: Canadian dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 19:15