We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Topic
I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

I want some good laughs people! yours or someone elses! i will go first. we returning to PLAYA this June, we first visited in December 2009 and stayed at the RIU PALACE MEXICO. While it was a lovely hotel we mainly hung out at the RIU TEQUILA and the RIU YUCATAN at night and met more people our age (30-40). one night we met a couple whom we decided to have dinner with and sat down to have drinks with at the RIU YUCATAN. After about a half hour about talking about where we come from, occupations, etc, the wife tells me how she "sneaks" into THE RIU PALACE MEXICO ( she isnt supposed to be allowed in a PALACE ) by hiding her different colored wrist band with her purse or sweater. i kinda started to feel uncomfortable, but my hubby was chatting with her husband, so while i was trying to change the subject, she said she had to use the ladies room. so then after making small talk, the wife comes out of the bathroom comes back to our table and says " look at the stuff i got to take home out of the bathroom! i dont have to buy souveniers for the kids back at home!!!" i was mortified as i saw her take little turtle, iguanas and other mexican trinket decorations (that were on the bathroom sink ) out of her pockets to show her husband! my hubby and i gave each other that look and we high tailed it outta there! OMG! OKAY PEOPLE, let me hear what you got !!!!

Edited: 05 April 2011, 21:04
mpls
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

We just got home yesterday from Puerto Morelos. On the plane ride home my son turned to me and said. Mom I'm glad we're going home today. I'm tired of being Mexican! He also said he in a panicked voice. Oh no, I won;t be able to go to school tomorrow. I only know how to count in spanish I can't remember how to count in english. Spoken from a 1st grader!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

Our first trip to Mexico (Tulum) SOMEONE in the family decided it would be fun, on the second day, to take dance lessons on the concrete pool deck barefoot. SOMEONE stumbled (hmm...could it have been the cervesa???) and bent their toe back horribly. SOMEONE couldn't really feel any pain so kept right on dancing! However, getting ready for dinner SOMEONE realized they had probably broken their toe and it was going to be a long week! After dinner SOMEONE was in so much pain some very kind hearted, well meaning people started getting her shots of tequila to "numb it". After 10 too may shots SOMEONE tried to stand up from a very comfortable chair and fell face first into the lap of a very understanding man sitting across from her!

SOMEONE spent the rest of the week saying "No mas tequila" with a very red face and a very painful toe!

Edited: 05 April 2011, 21:54
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

I will admit that on occasion I have been a SOMEONE, but mine was walking down a pooly lit street, early evening (so not too far gone!) and stubbing my toe on a stray piece of pipe sticking up 2 inches out of the ground. It hurt but I didn't yelp too loudly, but as we got to the main street, my foot felt kind of wet, and looked down to find my big toe gushing blood! My poor friend had to find a pharmacy that was open late, and try to summon his Italian to say 'plasters and antiseptic' as everything was behind the counter! I felt really bad, but not nearly as bad as when we got back to the room and had to do some hasty first aid balanced one legged over the sink! That hurt - Italian antiseptic stings like billy-oh! I have enough knowledge to know it needed stitches really, but it was already late and we were hungry so I limped back out for dinner with a wodge of loo roll under the plasters!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

oh yes! the tequila band-aid! very funny! glad SOMEONE made it home in one piece (sort of)!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,118 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

We rented a car while vacationing on Grand Cayman. While I made the adjustment to driving on the "wrong" side of the road fairly easily, I just couldn't seem to remember that the turn signal was on the right and the wipers on the left, so every time I tried to signal a turn I turned on the wipers. My wife claims we had the cleanest windshield in the Caribbean. To this day, if she's in the car with me as I turn on the wipers, she'll say, "No, don't turn here."

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

On one vacation, we had rented a car, and on the way to the beach, we stopped to buy some snacks. I came out of the shop and jumped in the car and began to chat away about some souvenirs inside the shop. Hearing a chuckle, I turned to look at my husband, only to discover it wasn't my husband at all! The man behind the wheel pointed to the right and when I looked over, there was my husband in the next car laughing his head off. I jumped out of the car so fast I could have beaten a world record. My husband thought it was a great joke, but I just felt mortified.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

life really isnt that bad-i had a crappy day and you guys are cheering me up! i cant thank you enough! i almost was in tears laughing from JANIDD story!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

This one is an OMG hilarious moment to replay in our heads, but usually doesn't get shared with the masses.

On our first trip to Mexico, my Husband and I were in our young 20s and staying at Excellence Riviera Cancun for our honeymoon. Having never been to an all-inclusive before, of course we over-indulged in the adult beverages. That, coupled with the fact I am not a big drinker at home and we laid in the sun all day with only margaritas for our daily nutrition resulted in me being an absolute sloppy drunk---moreso than I've been in my life.

Luckily, the sloppy and embarassing part happened in the privacy of our room, rather than out among the more composed clientele of the resort. Whilst on the phone with my sister, who I drunk dialed from my cell phone while roaming in Mexico (not a smart decision on its on!) and standing in my bathing suit in our absolutely enormous jacuzzi tub, I decided I needed to use the restroom. My Husband, seemingly uninterested in dealing with my shenanigans told me to "just go already" then, if I needed to go so bad. Needless to say---I did just that. In all of my drunken glory, I peed myself in the jacuzzi tub, rather than walking two steps to the left to the toilet room.

It's shameful, and embarassing, but still something we think back on and can't help but laugh at the idiocy of our youth. The following trip to Mexico, we were careful to consume lots of water in between drinks and spend some time in the shade while around the pool. Telling that story once is funny to us, telling everyone it happened again would just be mortifying.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
65 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

You would think being from Milwaukee I could handle this but Tequila is it's own animal! 1st time in Mexico at one of the Bahia's... swim up bar with flaming shots in the colors of the Mexican flag, very impressive. Shockingly, made it back to the hotel room. The next morning I discovered I took my contacts out and cleaned them with toothpaste and brushed my teeth with sun screen. Good times... Yes, I brought another pair of contacts! :)

alberta canada
Level Contributor
452 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I want to hear your most hilarious OMG! moment on vacation!

last april my hubby and I met up with a friend from atlanta for a few drinks and watch fire show at fusions! Got real comfy in the chairs on the beach and took my sandals off the just keep my feet in the bare sand. After the fire show we decided to walk up and down 5th ave and a few other streets, not sure which streets as by this time the tequila set in pretty good. My feet seemed to be a bit swollen from the heat so i just carried them. As we were walking our friend asked me where is my other sandal? uh I don't know, so i guess I lost it somewhere along our walk in the streets, so for the next half hour or so the streets seem to be getting pretty bare of people (guess it was pretty late wasn't really keeping track of time, as tequila can do that, we started heading back the way we came. Well if my sandal wasn't lying there right in the middle of the road. and it was run over by a vehicle OMG we found the sandal and even though it was run over it was still in one piece. and yes we all took pictures!!! and I will be taking the same pair with me but i think i might choose to keep them on my feet!!