We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin questions

Kingston, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Valentin questions

Is there any shade by pool or beach if you are not a "preferred" or "privelidge" guest? How is the food? Snorkeling equipment available? Cost? Thanks!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin questions

Yes there is shade, but you have to claim your palapa early in the morning.

The food is a very subjective. I for example did not care for the French restaurant, but many people rave about it. All in all the food is very good.

Also it depends what you paying for VIM and what are your expectations.

I don't know about snorkeling equipment, haven't used it.

Edited: 11 April 2011, 17:15
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,446 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin questions

What sig said.

There is shade available but it is at a premium - just how much of a premium will, obviously, depend upon how full the resort is during your visit and what proportion of those other guests have ponied up the extra dough for the Privilege Package.

I think the food at the VIM varies between good and fantastic. I liked the food at the French restaurant very much but the Indonesian was my favourite. Lots of people rave about the teppanyaki tables at the Japanese restaurant; I didn't care for the food there.

Snorkelling - I don't know if there's equipment available but even if there is, I wouldn't want to use it. Health & Safety standards in Mexico are not quite the same as those in UK, US and Canada - I seriously doubt that ANY rental snorkel equipment is much more than rinsed off in plain water between users. Plus, mask fit is so crucial to a good snorkelling experience, I just prefer to bring mine from home 'cos I know it won't leak or otherwise be bothersome.

However, the two times I've been to the VIM, the ocean conditions have NOT been conducive to snorkelling at the resort. There are a lot of rocks at the waters edge (although there's a roped off, rock free swimming area) - unless the ocean is REALLY calm, there's a good chance you'll just get pounded against the rocks. In fact, we did see a guy who'd suffered just that fate - he wasn't seriously hurt but had multiple bruises and abrasions.

Hope this helps!

Edited: 11 April 2011, 17:23
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin questions

Always shade at the swim up bars ;)

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin questions

I forgot, my favored restaurant was Indonesian too.

Canton, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin questions

Shade is at a premium at the big pool (at least for loungers). Got 2 seats one afternoon there. Got some at small "lazy river" by our building (#8) a couple of other afternoons. The beach -- forget it.

I thought breakfast and lunch at both Le Marche and Mar & Terra were excellent. The dinners: French - loved everything but filet (not horrible, but nothing to write home about). Japanese - excellent (went 2x, once to hibachi, once to table). Mexican - very good. Indonesian - very good (my husband got duck and LOVED it).

Wanted to snorkel but red flags out the whole time we were there, so we decided not to try (4/1-4/6). If you go thru the resort, I believe it was $40 per person. Not sure what all that involves.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,446 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin questions

Hopess' post reminded me - if you want to go snorkelling, take a taxi into Puerto Morelos and get one of the locals to take you out - US$25 per person.

7. Re: Valentin questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 13:19