We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

My boyfriend and I are going to the VIM for the first time. We had been going to the Barcelo Tropical for several years until a bad experience last year so we are going to try the VIM. Been to Mexico at various other resort for the past 12 yrs. so Mexico and all inclusives are not new to us. We are wondering about the daytime restaurants, my boyfried likes to just put on sandals and a tank top over his swim suit and go to a buffet for breakfast and lunch, is that acceptable at the VIM? Is there a buffet for dinner or do you have to go to one of the restaurants? Any suggestions on a room, we prefer to be on the 2nd floor (being close to the main pool is more important than a view). Anyone have a map of the grounds? Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We booked this vacation at Christmas time so it's been a long wait I am so ready !

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

Whew, that's quite a few questions..... but I'll try.

Lunch - no problem with sandals and swim suit at breakfast and lunch, provided the swim suit is dry. I believe tanks are acceptable but a t shirt might be better. Last time I was there, bare midriffs on the ladies was not appropriate either, so make sure your cover up isn't just the skirt type if you wear a bikini.

There is no buffet for dinner - other than the specialty, themed buffets (complete with appropriate entertainment) that they run a couple of times a week. The Mexican one is usually on Saturday and there's a Caribbean one too. I think there's also a third but can't remember what it is.

As for suggestions on room - I believe there's a map on Facebook but I have one that I'll happily send you if you PM me your e-mail address. You need to be in a Junior Deluxe to be close to the main pool; if you're booked into a different room category, you'll be further away.

One tip - there's a coffee lounge that has an informal book exchange if you run out of reading material.

Edited: 12 April 2011, 13:02
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

Wow, thank you Llisa for the quick response that is really helpful. Hmmmm my bikini days are behind me but thanks for that info as well :) How do I get you my email address (technically challenged PM? boy I feed stupid having to ask that) I would love it if you would send me a map. We booked a "standard" room so probably not a Junior Deluxe.

My boyfriend will be happy about the breakfast/lunch - thanks again for the info.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

Standard room = junior deluxe, so you're all good there.

To send me a PM, click on my name and it'll take you to a different screen. Look down the left side and you'll see an option to "Send a message" ....... ta da!!!!

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

Annie - I just sent you the map but since it's coming from my Yahoo e-mail account, you might want to check your junk/spam folder, in case it ends up there.

New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

My husband wore tank tops (sleeveless shirts) to breakfast/lunch with no problems. He didn't look at all out of place. The other dinner buffet night is during the Beach Party/Fire Show. They set up a pretty nice assortment of food on the beach. I ate a pretty big dinner before we went because the journal said it was just "snacks" - it was certainly more than enough to be considered a meal! I really wished that I had saved some room because it all looked and smelled soooo good! Lots of desserts too!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

Even tho bldgs. 4 and 5 are closest to the main pool, not all rooms face the pool. Some are on the back side of the building and would have just foliage as the view. You may want to contact them prior to arrival and request a room facing the pool. There will be no guarantee, but at least your request would be in their system.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
204 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

My husband and I stayed in building 4 last Sept. Great location! We were on the ground floor and had no view of the pool, at the same time we couldn't hear the noise from the pool either, even by the "active" pool. In sept there was a lot of greenery which may keep from a full view even on the second floor, But this is just speculation. The grounds are beautiful and the plants really give the resort something I feel others lack. I don't remember the bug being bad either(plants, trees , jungle, bugs see where I'm gig) but I always wear repellant at night regardless when I'm in the tropics.

Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

Thanks to all for the great info! We can't wait to go, I work lonnnnnggggg hours, I am so ready to get out of here, counting the days.

9. Re: Going to the VIM 5/11-5/21 - Have some ?'s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 15:18