We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

Hi I am in PDC now and having a wonderful time, except for a disastrous trip to Cozumel yesterday, but thats another story. I am a bit overwhelmed by all the stores. I am not good given too many choices. Anyone want to make a recommendation for 1-2 places to shop for silver? Also, what I would really like to buy is a traditonal Mexican mortar & pestle to make guacamole. I cannot seem to find this. Anyone know where I might? Thanks!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
829 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

The walmart might have the mortar and pestle. The thing I didn't like about walmart was the strong smell of fish. Have fun shopping!!

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

The Tequlia Museum on 5th Ave might have a mortar and pestle.

There is another pottery place "off thr beaten track" that would be worth a look.

Suiete Details on the corner of Calle 14 and Avenida 1n. Nice stuff and a nice lady when we were there.

if you go to the Teq mus. ask for Alberto, he speaks good English and can help you.

PolloMan

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

There is a place about half way down 5th between constituentes and Senior frogs..it sells ceramic sinks and other home stuff. I would think that they would have it there. If you don't find it ask at the markets if they do not have it they will take you to another place that does. The vendors are very good that way!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,234 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

by the way, the mortar and pestle is called a molcajete - pronounced mol - ca - he - te.

Usually at a Mexican food market there will be a stand that sells them, as well as tortilla presses and ceramic pots. Im not sure there is a market like this in Playa, but there is in Cancun or Merida if you're traveling. Mega may have them, but I doubt it.

If you dont want to schlep one home (they're heavy and bulky) - Sur La Table sells them. And, you have to season the thing by grinding rice in it a few times, or there will be pieces of rock in your guac.

Edited: 20 April 2011, 17:17
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,234 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

just noticed you're in San Francisco - you can probably get a molcajete in the Mission...

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

Still cannot find un molcajete, but you are right New York can easily obtain at home. Anyone have a favorite silver jewelry store though?

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,680 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

They have the good molcajetes at The Little Mexican Cooking School in Puerto Morelos. It should be of balsamic stone and they weigh about 18 pounds. They cost about $30 at the LMCS, and more in the States. I think William Sonoma might be a good choice in the States. I didn't want to lug mine back from Mexico and they are not allowed on a plane as a carry on. Can't believe anyone is strong enough to throw one. There are concrete knockoffs that don't work because they are always flaking off granuals of stone.

You can use white rice, what a mess, or giant white corn (Mote Pelado) to cure the molcajete, less of a mess:-)

What's nice is you can make your guacamole with peppers and onions and you won't need lime juice to prevent the browning. The oil from the peppers and onions will keep the avacado meat fresh.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

No favorite silver shops, love them all. There was one on the left side of 5th coming from Constituentes (Royal/GPR end) close to the Tequila Factory or Musuem that had their cheaper pieces sorted by price. $5, $10, $15 tables if you don't like to bargain, but handy as a baseline if you do.

I get compliments all the time with my $5 drop earrings, in black onyx, turguoise, tiger eye, some gorgeous red stone, etc. I picked up slides for almost all of them in the $10-15 range.

Like they said if you don't see exactly what you want describe what you are looking for and they'll find it with another vendor. I wanted silver teardrop posts and saw a million wire ones told the clerk what I wanted and walked out. She found me about 10 minutes later down the street with exactly what I was looking for. She said she had it in another one of her stores, those have been borrowed to more than one mother of the bride/groom friends! If you are taking a taxi from your hotel, ask them to drop you at the Constituents end of 5th ave. It's the opposite end from the ferry dock and you can make Au Cacoa your first stop :D.

Thanks for the post I've wanted a molcajete since I had a fantastic dish in Zihuatanejo, always get sidetracked by the jewelry and the weight, LOL.

9. Re: IN PDC now: Shopping Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 21:17