We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

It is closed indefinitely as of this morning. Just a FYI.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

Wow, is that the only SL airport? If so how awful for those who had trips planned.

St. Louis, MIssouri
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

Yes it is the only major airport in St. Louis. The mayor of St. Louis hopes to have the airport up to 70% capacity by Sunday, Looking at the news footage that seems pretty optimistic. There will be no electricity until tonight to the airport. My wife and I are flying out of St. Louis at 6 AM on Wednesday for a vacation at the Catalonia Royal Tulum in the Riveria Maya. We are keeping our fingers crossed but at the same time feel very badly for those people who lost their homes. Makes our vacation seem unimportant.

ft worth
Level Contributor
977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

I saw that on the news here as well. I hope it works out for you,

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

Consult (call) your airline to check status of your flight

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

I am sure it will be up and running at some level within a few days. Here is a link to the story with some video. Sounds like a pretty crazy experience.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42725966/ns/weather/

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

But remember it will take days to get back up to full operating capacity. And there's the issue of planes and crew needing to be repositioned.

I looked at FLIGHTSTATS and, strangely, a couple of planes (airlines unknown to me) did land today....not sure what the deal is unless they were something like "lifeline" flights.

The video says they hope to be fully operational by mid-week. I'll be surprised if that's the case. But I hope it IS true.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

it could be planes like fed ex that do not have passengers. The runways are fine.

Doniphan, Missouri
Level Contributor
207 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

I am confident they are working around the clock to get it back up & running. Lambert airport is huge source of revenue & the longer it is closed, the more money they lose.

My parents fly out Friday morning & their only concern is the hotel they are staying is close to Lambert, so they are not sure if it sustained any damage. She will be making some phone calls Monday morning.

I am very thankful that so far there are no fatalities!

Doniphan, Missouri
Level Contributor
207 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

Are you flying on USA 3000, srcrph?

St. Louis, MIssouri
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Louis Lambert airport closed - tornado hit it

No, we are flying Delta to Atlanta to Cancun. Hopefully our flight will go as scheduled.