We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help choosing a resort! :)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Please help choosing a resort! :)

Me and my husband plus our in laws are planning a trip to Playa Del Carmen at the end of June. WAnted some help choosing the perfect resort!

Here are the key things we want

*perfect beach

*great food, beach bar

*Great huge pool, must have a swim up bar

*good nightlife

*nice newer rooms

Thanks in advance :)

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

Secrets Maroma Beach hits all of them with the exception of HUGE pools.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

I do not know what do you want to pay for the trip, but Grand Palladium Royal Yucatan suites (or their cheaper parts Riviera and White Sands) and Barcelo Maya Palace (or Colonial/Tropical) have all that you listed, but they are not in PDC but further south by about 30 min additionally. None of the resort's in PDC have really huge pools.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

The Riu Palace Riviera Maya - rooms are all at least junior suites, great beach, great pools with in the water loungers, all inclusive, great location & the newest of the Riu's.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

I've always found that the bigger the pool the worse the beach. It seems as if places with inadequate beaches try to make up by having a ginormous pool. Almost all of the beaches in Playa are beautiful. I may be wrong , it's just my observation.

oz
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

It does not have a huge pool but it has a nice beach and good food, Playacar Palace.

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

We agree, the Riu Palace Riviera Maya has tons of food choices, lovely rooms (all bath tubs are jacuzzi tubs!), great pool with swim up bar and a fabulous beach. Walking distance to Playa for shopping or whatever. You can visit the other Riu's.

We're heading back for our 3rd trip to Riviera Maya and our 2nd to our favorite Riu Palace Riviera Maya in 2.5 weeks!

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

I thought the pool at the VIM could definetely be considered HUGE. And the beach was pretty good-no rocks in the roped off swimming area when I was there. Waves were crazy, though.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

agree with the riu palaces....with the nod going to rp mexico as we really liked their pool and beach area. the pool at the rp riviera maya didnt do it for us and was a let down for us. also the rprm didnt have much of a night life.

the beach there in playacar is awesome. the food is good, service is great, people are great. location is also great with being so close to town so theres no need to cab it in.

next time we'll be doing either rp mexico or the playacar palace.

Edited: 24 April 2011, 16:50
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

I agree with the Riu choices either the Riu Palace Mexico (RPM) or The Riu Palace Riviera Maya (RPRM). We stayed at the RPM & plan on going back in Feb. Would have chosen the RPRM but it's a little more expensive. Either way, nice pools & a fantastic beach and all the amenities mentioned above. Infact, we moved heaven & earth getting our group back there after visiting the area last year. Both resorts are quiet as far as night life but the Riu Tequila across the street from the RPM is the place to go for a little more partying.

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help choosing a resort! :)

Blue Bay Esmeralde! We went 2 yrs ago and are going back in May! Oh goodness. where to start? The food is fresh and different every day. So good! Top shelf liquor...non stop. There is even free flowing liquor in your room. And the mini refrig in ur room is stocked daily with water,soda and beer! The staff is amazing. They entertain you night and day. Nightly shows ,such as greese, are fun, and really quite good. The pool is really awesome as well. Look on bookit.com for the best deals. This is truely a 5 star resort, but very laid back and comfortable.