We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPR safe break in's - how???

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ft mcmurray
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GPR safe break in's - how???

Ok so I've heard of this before and it's not knew to me. ( It could be any resort too for that matter. ) We have also been to this resort before and had no issues. However, this time we will have a bit more valuables to place in the safe. Does anyone know how the ones that were, were compromised?

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

By pulling up the "metal" cover from a corner and jimmying the mechanism through the exposed hole. You can tell if the cover has been tampered with.

ft mcmurray
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

great thanks - I"m going to try a come up with a solution. Blue exploding spray bomb would be nice but not practical lol

Canada
Level Contributor
4,954 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

www.youtube.com/watch…

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
866 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

Interesting---we had our safe breached somehow the week of April 18 at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya. The management for the life of them couldn't imagine how anyone could have gotten into our safe - they pulled the whole safe out of our room and apparantly were calling the safe company to talk to them more.

Manchester
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

We will be going to a resort which had safe break ins in the past. apparently they have a master code for digital safes in case someone checks out and leaves their safe locked with their code. Seems like some staff are misusing that master code. There is something you can buy, it's called a milockie but it's around $50. We've bought some padlocks for our suitcases and plan on locking our valuables in them. I am not taking anything massively expensive, but I can't really afford to replace our iphones or cameras and I shouldn't have to either

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

I've often thought about padlocking the suitcase too, but what would stop someone from just walking out with your suitcase? Maybe I'm just being too paranoid !

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

A locked/zipped suitcase can be opened with a pen. I can't find the link but i did see it once.

Manchester
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

but at least if i have something broken to show to management and the police then i can claim on my insurance, whereas a non tampered safe doesn't sound too good, i think the thieves want to be as fast as possible, so punching four digits in is easy, i'm only trying to protect my belongings

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
866 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

well - what we were shown at RPRM is that there is a specail litle computer thing that hooks into the safe and a master code is entered into that. Only 4 of their managers supposedly knew the master code and thier procedure is that the direcor of security be the one to open it.

As far as leaving your stuff in your suitcase --our funjet rep at the resort told us NOT to do that (since we wanted to after the cash was taken from the safe). He said that it shifts all responsibility to you ---anything in the safe is the responsibility of the hotel.

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
621 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GPR safe break in's - how???

Also, most suitcase locks use he same keys. I have locks that I have purchased years ago and recent ones and the keys all work interchangably. So how hard is it for somebody to get a key???

I checked out the Milockie website http://www.milockie.com/#

I have personally never had a problem at any resort (that I know of) but I travel with cash. I will not use credit cards while on holiday's so I think I will be investing in this. Just to put my mind at ease.