We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
5 posts
Save Topic
Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

I am going to PDC and staying at a RIU in Playacar. I want to wear my rings but some people are telling me that I shouldnt. Do you think it is safe to wear in PDC?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
503 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

It's as safe as anywhere. Most likely someone isn't going to hold you down and rip your rings off your hand. I got engaged there last year and wore my ring, but kept it in the safe when I was at the beach because it was loose and I didn't want it to fall off in ocean. I will be there in 2 weeks on my honeymoon and plan to wear my rings!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

I never take my rings off. Having said that.....if you are uncomfortable or fearful don't take them!

Arlington...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

I've been to PDC a few times and never had any problems even walking around late at night. I agree with bizzokiki though leave them in the safe when you are going to be swimming.

Kent
Level Contributor
6,148 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

i take cheap rings not cos i think there be stolen but so i don't have to remember to put them in safe during the day etc, same with other jewellery

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

If I take my rings, I wear 'em because I figure there's more chance they'd be stolen from my room than off my hand (although I do think even that's a very slim possibility).

I would be MUCH more concerned that my rings might inadvertently slip off and be lost - sunscreen and salt water can make fingers very slippery. My original engagement and wedding rings fit snugly but my newer pretties (what a great husband I have!!!) are somewhat looser, so I leave them at home in the safety deposit box.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

I always wear my faux jewelery, leave the good stuff at home. I also don't like the lotions and sand getting on them. There are lots of nice options out there.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

I always wear mine. In fact, they're harder to remove when on vacation. My fingers tend to swell in the heat and humidity.

Boston...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!!!

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
311 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

I never wear my rings while traveling, real or fake. It just makes you a target if you have on either IMHO. I wear a simple silver band that I would not worry about if it was lost and it does not draw any attention like my other jewelry. I work in the jewelry industry and have heard way too many travel stories of jewelry being lost or stolen, so I just leave mine in the safe at home. Do what makes you feel comfortable and have a great trip!!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,535 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Engagement Ring and Wedding Band

I leave all my good jewelry at home and just wear silver and costume jewelry.

We usually stay non AI and do a lot of travelling around off the beaten path. I just don't want to worry about loss or theft or being a target. I am always mindful that I am in a much poorer country and that wearing a fairly good size diamond is is maybe not the smart thing to do.