We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
363 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

We have never been to the Cancun area and are going this July to celebrate our 25th anniversary for 4 nights. I am wondering which resort would be a better fit? Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

Both are priced at in about the same range. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Indiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

I have celebrated 2 anniversaries @ VIM and going back a third time this July. I love the resort. I have never been to the Catalonia so I can't give an opinion there. For more accurate information on Valentin Imperial Maya, go to their facebook page. There is so much information on there. You can see alot of comments made by people who have been to the resort and see photos taken by them at the resort. Whichever you choose, happy travels to you!!

Mentioned in this post
Corner Brook, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

We have been to both and although we liked CRT alot we loved the Valentin.The beach is better at CRT if that is important to you but the VIM wins hands down in all other areas. If we were ever to do AI again we would choose the VIM.

Lori

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

Thanks for the replies. I have a reservation on hold at VIM. The reservation does say this:" Valentin Imperial Maya will begin preventative in-room maintenance on May 2nd, 2011, through September 01, 2011"

Any idea what this might mean? Is this about the security issues at VIM?

Indiana
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

I would email the resort to find out for sure, but I would think that it means to repair anything in the rooms, like repair minor holes, painting, replacement of things that are worn, etc.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

I would think it means maybe checking out the ACs which they had a lot of issues with earlier this year. Also when we were there we noticed some minor things that needed touch up-paint, some broken or missing accent tiles, etc.

new york
Level Contributor
20,747 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

LGsummer, since you've been to both. Do you need reservations for the a la cartes at the VIM? And do you get unlimited choices to eat at any of the restaurants? That's one thing I really liked about CRT; no reservations and we could where ever we wanted as often as we wanted.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

We did not need reservations for dinner at the VIM when we were there but I understand many changes have taken place in customer service since our visit. To this day I cannot understand why people compare these two resorts, They are 100% different.

The VIM is new and modern.

The Catalonia is old fashioned Mexico with the best beach hands down .

The rooms at the VIM will totally outshine the rooms at the Catalonia. The Vibe at the VIM is once again, hip and modern. Both are nice resorts.

Which one have I gone to once and which one have I returned to time and again?

I will always call the Catalonia home and return as often as possible. It is for people who want a laid back, intimate experience. It is not the best - it is the one I will go back to.

Mentioned in this post
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

I have been to both and if CRT and VIM are priced the same, than I would pick VIM.

WV
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

I haved been to both too and agree with Sig, but I would return to either in New York minute.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Catalonia Royal Tulum or VIM

Thanks. CTR is about 100 less for our 4 nite stay. It looks like I will go with VIM for our first time. Thanks for the input.