We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cockroaches !!

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
888 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
cockroaches !!

We are booked to stay in the RPRM in August. I read with increasing unease about a cockroach problem there. I'm NO wuss having travelled quite widely and been confronted with many creepy crawlies in Borneo and India etc etc ( I also work as a mortician!!) but NEVER EVER the dreaded roaches Just don't know how badly it would freak me out if I met one. Am I over reacting and just have to pull myself together ?? Advice needed please.

happy travels all

H

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cockroaches !!

Because of the climate you will encounter a cockroach or two, usually outside in the landscaping

Many resorts have stray cats to keep the roach and lizard population down

In my travels I have never seen them in my rooms but if you do just talk to managment

Relax and enjoy

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
888 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cockroaches !!

Sometimes all it takes is just one person to put things into perspective. THANK YOU SSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO MUCH mcmomny. Just pehaps a touch of over reaction on my part I think!!!

happy Travels all

H

p.s. Husband is watching over my shoulder witha 'told you so' smirk on his face :)

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cockroaches !!

Cats eat roaches??

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cockroaches !!

Have you seen them cats down there? they ain't your typical house cat like Here in the states! them things look weird, mean faces lol

I could see them eating roaches, lizards, rats, the occasional tourist or two haha

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cockroaches !!

amazin...actually.....our cat chases bugs all the time! He actually thinks it's quite fun. Our area is experiencing an explosion of "stink bugs" and my cat is in heaven!

Just sayin'

Ewing, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cockroaches !!

OBX, WTF is up with the stink bugs?? It's not just Baltimore!!!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cockroaches !!

UGH! They are the WORST! Seems you can't escape from them. They get in the house and I find them everywhere! Driving along in the car and BAM....buzzed by a stink bug! And they are so da*n UGLY! One was in the shower the other day...daughter and granddaughter were freaking out! Had to go in to the rescue!

Sorry for the hijack.. :-)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,914 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cockroaches !!

I'm afraid roaches are a fact of life in warm climes. Years ago I wandered to the ice machine at our small hotel in New Orleans in the evening. Barefoot. Saw a giant roach. I didn't go down there barefoot again....

I also once saw a large roach in my condo in Belize. I trapped it in my husband's dive 'boot'. Then I didn't know what to do with it, so I ended up freezing it. Management sprayed the next day, haven't seen one since.

eastbourne
Level Contributor
232 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cockroaches !!

What's a stink bug?

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cockroaches !!

mogsy...they are indigenous to Asia and somehow have made their way to the East Coast of the US. Looks prehistoric if you ask me. Kinda like a mini armor plated dinosaur bug! Unfortunately they are devastating to the farms and forests destroying everything in their path. The worst part is they gravitate to warm places so as the weather begins to turn in the fall they wiggle into your home and hibernate all winter long and then in the spring they emerge ready to create havoc again. No natural predators and very hard to eradicate. They get their name from a scent they give off when "squished" which it is said just attracts more of them!