We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

....any specific questions? I will post a TR after I recover from my returning home depression. ;)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

I for one have many questions about it. I read the all of the thread the other day and was FLOORED by the prices people got. I mean really. How could you go wrong at that price? Most of the packages people got was lower than I usually pay for airfare alone. How much was your trip and how many nights? Did you have a fabulous time? How was the service, food and room? Of course, I have to ask...did the Timeshare folks pressure you?

massachusetts
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

Hope you had a great time.

Leaving on 5/17 on same Travelocity deal. Would have been somewhat skeptical about quality of Sandos because of the deal offered but having stayed at Sandos 2 years ago and enjoyed it, felt it would be fine. Best beach in Playacar then. Can only assume it must be even better after the beach restoration was done. Can't wait to see for myself.

Hope you'll be able to post a TR before the 17th if you're able to get over the returning home depression (know it's not always easy, though) before then. Think you may be the first back who took advantage of the deal so would be nice to get your input.

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

I payed 1200 total for 2 adults round trip from Idaho for 1 week-pretty much payed for airfare and then maybe $120 for hotel. I asked at check out for a receipt, and the checkout guys told me that we didn't pay Sandos, Travelocity did, so they have no idea what we actually payed. Hahaha!

We upgraded to the Select Club (since we had already saved so much money). Our room was the standard but with a view of the ocean (although not ON the beach). It was the regular room-looked just like the website photos.

Service was very very good and very friendly.

Food was....sorry to say...pretty bad at the buffets. Like, pretty dang bad. Very bland, all the breads were so dry they crumbles in your mouth and choked you. Omelet station omelets are made from an omelet mixture (water, eggs, and milk), not eggs. The syrup for pancakes has water added to it, guacamole is just mashed avocados, no spices added. The fries were very good, though. As were the fresh fruits.

All I have to compare the food to is my one other AI (Valentin) and my Norwegian cruiseline cruise. I would have to say the buffet's food ranks below Norwegian.

I was looking forward to the Italian Buffet-I had heard it was great-but it was closed the entire week we were there. The Guest Services gal told me that this time of year they always close down one buffet. :(

The ala carte's food is pretty good. We tried them all (except the Mexican-that was closed for the week too). They were above average. And the service at the ala carte's is exceptional!

Hope that helps =)

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

Forgot to answer some questions-

Yes I had a TOTALLY great time. I brought a small Bubba mug (BEST idea ever) and relaxed all day! And despite the breakfast and lunches being only okay, I of course never went hungry.

Yes, we were stopped by the timeshare lady at check in-she told us to stay right here and she will sit down with us an explain our "welcome packet". Little does she know I am on TA and the 4 of us ran out to the golfcart to ditch her. She actually chased after us, but we told her we were tired and not interested in a meeting.

They did call our room once, but that was it. Not a big deal at all.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
827 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

Well Nurses welcome back!!!!! You are the 1st to return on the deal and we are so glad to hear all went well. How was the ocean and beach area I was soo disappointed at the RPDC with all the rocks. I am looking forward to your trip review!!

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

Sweetpea-The beach is amaaaaaaaazing. Honestly, its the main reason we would consider returning. Ooodles and oodles of rock free sandy beach. Here's a link to my pics and I have tons of water and beach photos from the resort:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Let me know if that link doesn't work.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
827 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

Awesome,awesome photos. That is the beach I missed at the Royal.Glad you saw monkeys at the resort I hope we can find them when we go. Did you snorkel Akumel?? What underwater camera did you use? The photo quality was very good. Thanks

BTW Nurses really do love vacation!!

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

Yep, we went to Akumal and did the bay and then the lagoon. We went there last time too and it was just as beautiful this time.

I bought a Dicapak to use underwater with my old Panasonic Lumix digital:

http://www.dicapac.com/new_eng/index.html

It basically a really nice plastic bag that works with any regular camera.

It worked pretty well until our YalKu lagoon swim. I noticed a few drops of water inside after we got to the resort-the camera was fine. I will use it again, but only with my old camera-I wouldn't be devastated if it gets ruined.

minnesota
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

Out of curiosity... What do they have for hard liquor in the mini fridge?

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Sandos Playacar on the Travelocity Deal!

No hard liquor in the room unless you upgrade to select.

They had beer, a variety of sodas and club soda.

After we upgraded to Select, we received a bottle of Sandos tequila, a bottle of red wine, a bottle of Bacardi, and a bottle of vodka.