We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

Hey guys- understanding that this isn't a secluded tropical island, do you feel like there are people all over you there?

At the pool?

At the beach? (most imporant)

Do you have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a palapa or under some shade at the pool?

THANKS!!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

You typically have to get up early to get a "hot" spot seat no matter where you go - Cancun, Aruba, etc. It's not going to be crowded like it is at the beaches by us. It will not look like Jones Beach or Belmar where you are literally stepping on people.

I will say that some resorts do a better job than others at providing for space. Some of the best space I have seen is at Hilton Cancun. Lots of chairs and very well spaced apart.

Edited: 28 May 2011, 12:49
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Kennewick...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

Secrets has really grown in popularity over the past two years. Even though the resort is twice as much as other AI people are still willing to pay $500+ per night. Secrets will feel crowded around the common ares such as the pool, lobby bar, and restaurants when they are running high capacity which has been the norm lately. I would say the beach is so large it would'nt feel too crowded there. Secrets should be back to manageable crowds starting in July but understandably they have been booked up all spring.

I think people have to take that into consideration when booking that resort, last thing I want is to fight for a spot around the pool, wait 10 minutes in line for a drink or feel like I am at Disney World while paying those rates.

Edited: 28 May 2011, 14:57
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

We stayed at SMB last year in the spring and occupancy levels were near capacity. We never had an issue getting a good spot at the beach nor did we feel crowded. The beach is big and very nice. There is not a ton of traffic in front of it or tons of motorized water sports which made it really relaxing. We found the service to be excellent on the beach and by the pool. The only time it felt crowded was during a few days when we had monsoon rains (literally all day long and night) and EVERYONE was in the common areas. I would argue that all resorts have this issue since it is a pretty rare occurance to have all of your guests in the same place, at the same time for extended periods of time. And even then, we always found a place at bar and had no issues with dining. The staff went above and beyond to keep people happy during those few days although that was consistent with the level of service for our entire stay. It is not the end all be all but the resort is not too big and we like that it is adult only and has a great beach. It was perfect for our little adult getaway. 4-5 days tops is the most I could stay there but then again I would probably say that about any resort or hotel. We get way too antsy but that is just us. For a longer trip we would def break it up between a couple of places or stay in a condo.

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

When I was at SMB at the beginning of March, the resort was at 97% occupancy when we checked in and overbooked by the time we left. We never had to get up extra early to get a palapa, and we did get a shaded spot at the pool. But here's the thing: We were done with breakfast by 9:00 and walked directly to the beach afterwards. If you hit the beach at 11:00, you wouldn't get a palapa. So it depends on when 'early' is for you.

As for the pool, we sat poolside one day under an umbrella after getting there at about 9:30 or 10. Some loungers in the area never did fill up. However, this was on the end that isn't much of a pool, as far as you can get from the swim-up bar. And it was on Tuesday or Wednesday. If you want to be in the heart of pool scene, then it is harder to get a spot.

NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

Thanks guys...! I usually gets ants in my pants and am by the beach or pool by 8:00 am....I just hated the feeling of being crowded in Punta Cana...

Hmmm...Well, the water looks better at Secrets but the "crowding"issues look better at Excellence Playa Mujeres...but the water doesn't look great...I may need to sacrifice crowds for beach water...sigh!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
NYC
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

Why don't you give SMB a try and if 8 am isn't early enough, rent a private bed with butler for the day at a mere $30. I highly doubt you will have any issues getting a prime spot by 8 am though. I hear they are patrolling reserved chairs and only allowing a 30 min vacancy before removing left items.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,271 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

I think Excellence does a great job of spacing, and the pool areas felt expansive. I think the pool areas at SMB are small for the size of the resort, and feel close-in.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

I agree with Spotsmom - the pool at Excellence is very expansive and seems to wind around the whole resort while the pool at SMB (just two of them) seems very small by comparison. That being said - I Iiked the food at SMB better than Excellence and thought the overall resort was more "upscale" than Excellence. Excellence had better evening entertainment and better drinks.

They both have their pros and cons - IMHO if I were to choose between the two and they both were the same price - I would go back to SMB.

Beechluver

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

Secrets Maroma have the " CHAIR POLICE" so you can't save seats there. I was just there in May and it was great seeing them remove belongings left for over 30 mins. They also patrol the floats. I never felt crowded but it did seem like the majority of people were in there 20's. Nothing wrong with that, just I'm a little older and prefer to mingle with my own age group. But still a great place. I'd return!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Maroma "crowded"?

I just returned yesterday from SMB and in my review (not yet posted--sorry!), I mentioned that the thing I liked best about the resort was the layout. What some call "crowded" I call "sociable." This past week, one could easily get some of the prime real estate around the pool (near the swim-up bar and infinity pool) by 10am and up to noon for some of the smaller pool areas on the backside of the bar area. The beach seemed to fill up a bit quicker.

Again, I loved the fact that the resort was relatively small and the pool sat at the entrance to the beech. Thus, I saw the friends we made the day(s) before as walked to and from the beach. I never waited more than 3 minutes for a drink and the wait staff and the pool and beach were top notch. So, to my mind, the resort wasn't crowded at all. Just my .02...