We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

Pa
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

Our first trip to Mexico is coming up. We've been to about 7 Carribbean islands, with T&C and St Barths being our faves. Can we expect a similar experience in PDC?

va
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

I've never been to T&C or St Barths but plenty of other islands, this part of Mexico is our favorite because there is something for everyone, shopping, snorkeling, scuba and from the east coast it's pretty easy to get to.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

#1 thing- it's CHEAPER!! ;)

Diving and snorkeling is better in Turks and Caicos, but it's pretty good here.

I think St. Barth's would be ritzier, but the Mayan Riviera is not at all rustic like many Caribbean islands (we were surprised at how poor and rustic Jamaica is compared to Mexico, for example, our first trip there this year- although we were only in Negril, I know other areas have more $$.)

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

We think the real difference is the culture/atmosphere. In our experience most islands tend to offer a local flavor specific to that location (ie in Jamaica you are not going to see or hear or feel much that is not Jamaican).

Playa has a more wide-ranging mix of cultures. It is Mexican of course, but a part of Mexico that is greatly influenced by its Caribbean location. Throw in the influences of the Mayan people (who are not Mexican...just ask them), the culture/cuisine/society of the large Italian ex-pat community, the influx of young people from Central and South America, and the tourists from North America and Europe and you really have a unique "city of the world" feeling here.

You will find Playa has all the "island" highlights of and and water and vacation activities...plus a little more. Enjoy.

Tony and Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel and Bar

NY
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

I have yet to go to PDC- looking now but find myself always comparing to Turks...I honestly don't know how anyplace can have beaches like Turks. I don't think you should set the same expectations or you'll be disappointed...(judging from the pix)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,244 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

There is no comparison. In full disclosure, my parents live on St Barth - and I love the place, and it's representative of my split personality that I bounce back and forth between St Barth and Mexico/Central America.

The type of vacationer in PDC is completely different. You will still have the chic Europeans and some stylish Americans and places with white bathing beds with flowing curtains, but that's the end of the comparison. It's rare to find an undeveloped beach, like Saline or Gouvenir. Some of the beach clubs in Tulum have a similar feel to the Tom Beach Club, but not really....

And, the shopping is completely different. Craft items and tequila instead of Vuitton, Morgan de Toi and Hermes

Some people I guess dress up for resorts in Playa, but in general it's much more casual than St Barth. St Barth is casual, but in a chic-er way... I would never go to Gustavia dressed the way I would walk around Playa or Belize (ie, the Merrells stay home!)

Edited: 01 June 2011, 17:37
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,244 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

also, I cant edit because I already did... Like MoreMoreMore says, I compare every place I go to St Barth - and they all pale in comparison. Although the snorkeling is a million times better in Bonaire and Belize....

It's best not to attempt to compare.

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

Different.... You won't find the beautiful water like you do in the Islands. The culture in Mexico is great and much to see, but it is a completely different vibe.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

There is always Cozumel and Isla Mujeres.

Cozumel is better for snorkeling than Belize in my opinion, have not been to Bonaire, but find it hard to believe it is a better than Cozumel.

Enjoy, and like others have said, completely different.

Give Playa or Mexico a chance, you will thank us later...

Art

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

We have been to Jamaica, St. Lucia, the Bahamas and Punta Cana and we still choose to go back to Mexico year after year because of the resorts, the beautiful culture and best of all the friendliness of the people.

You never really feel like a tourist, you feel like family.

Beechluver

Pa
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How would you compare PDC to Carribbean?

Thanks!

We chose Mexico b/c it was an easy direct flight and with my children arriving different days and from different airports it seemd there could be more play and less travel (SBH is not an easy in/out).

But you have convinced me that we made the right choice.

We are renting a villa in Playcar ll, and have already made arrangements to charter a fishing and snorkle trip.

I've been pouring over all the great advice and suggestions. Just let me know if there's something that alsolutely shoudn't be missed!