We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pharmacy

buena, nj
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pharmacy

My daughter is panicing about refilling her prescriptions in playa del carman. I thought I read a while ago that there are pharmacies in Playa del Carmen. She can't have the prescription refiled here before we go because "it's too early to refill". She will be taking a prescription with her and really, really needs the medication. Can someone let me know for sure if there is a pharmacy for her.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pharmacy

I'm not sure about the pharmacies there, but couldn't she just ask her physician for a small, non-refillable prescription to get her through until she returns?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pharmacy

there are pharmacias all over. she may have to have local doctor write the prescription down there, they often have one at the pharmicies. make sure the med is available in mexico.

buena, nj
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pharmacy

Thank you for your quick response. I'll let her know so she can relax and start chilling.

Denville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pharmacy

There are several well stocked pharmacies in Playa.

Many medications do not require a prescription in Mexico. But just in case bring a script from your Dr for each medication. If the medication requires a prescription they will not fill it with the "Refills available #" on the pharmacy bottle. A physician there should without a problem write a Mexican script when he or she see's your MD's script.

Antibiotics now do require a script in Mexico.

I went to med school in Guadalajara and know the system well. Don't worry, Have a great time.

buena, nj
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pharmacy

Thank you for your response. She does have a prescription from her doctor. I feel much better now.

Edited: 02 June 2011, 16:48
playa del carmen
Level Contributor
290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pharmacy

what med does she need? The reason I ask, many are not sold here. I know-I live here. I dont think I would chance it-maybe her dr could give prescripe enough to last while on vacation. If her meds are covered by insurance and they wont pay-have the pharmacy notify them-they should give an approval. Also someone mentioned you do not need a prescription in Playa for an anti-bodic-actually one is required now however I have been told there are a few that will give you what a want. And by the way, places like Merida and Guadalajara will generally have almost anything that you can get in the states but not Playa and maybe not Cancun

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pharmacy

I agree, if it's something she absolutely has to have, I wouldn't chance the availability in Mexico.

I would think insurance companies would allow for vacations. I know ours does, although it takes time on the phone. I'd have those meds in my carry on before I left home......

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pharmacy

So you have to have a script now for, say, Cipro? When did that start? I was just there in Nov and could by Cipro OTC.

Beechluver

playa del carmen
Level Contributor
290 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pharmacy

the law on anti-bodics was made into law last year-cant remember when. The problem is many pharmacies are not obeying the law. If they get caught-its a hefty fine. Playa just elected new mayor and he is cracking down on many violations that had been ignored by the previous mayor-I expect the no antibodic sold law will be addressed here sooner than later. Only time will tell. If the phamarcy says they cant sell you an antibodic-most have a dr they use who will write one for 30 pesos. Something the tourist can afford-something the nationals cannot

Centennial
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pharmacy

Just got back from a week in PDC. Got several antibiotics that need a RX in the states, but sold over the counter at the Farmacia, including the Farmacia at the Cancun airport. Unless it is a narcotic, should have no problem getting anything like Cipro, Augmentin, etc.