We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

Hello - any feedback on the two would be appreciated. Can't decide, not that big of a difference in price to sway me! I know the VIM is an adults only, but I do like the location of RPRM........help!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

We stayed at the VIM and loved it: great rooms, great food, great pools. I liked that it was adult's only, and that no reservations were required at any of the restaurants. Haven't stayed at the RPRM; it looks lovely but the fact it isn't adult's only is a sticking-point for us.

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

How far is the VIM from the airport? What is the closest town, playa, akumal, puerto adventuras???

Round Rock, TX
Level Contributor
119 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

Vim is about 30 minutes from the airport. Puerto Morelos is a cool little town about 5 minutes to 10 minutes down the road. Playa Del Carmen is about 30. So halfway between Cancun and Playa.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

I looked closely at the VIM last year but decided to stay with the Riu (Palace Mexico). VIM certainly has some advantages - better a la carte system, think nicer rooms. But we really like the closeness to town where you can walk in via sidewalk or beach and if you want taxi back and of course seeing old friends, staff and guests who we've known since 2003..

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

whitesands - we just returned from the VIM our 2nd time around at that resort and had a great time. Never been to a RIU myself and the Adult only thing is a deal breaker. As you may know the VIM has no reservations for dinner and no wrist band which is a plus for us also.

Here is an APPROXIMATE idea of the distance from the Cancun Airport down the coastline in order to the places you are asking about along with Puerto Morelos as suggested by cdnusbaum...

Cancun Airport to Puerto Moreles 20km

Puerto Moreles to VIM 10km

VIM to Playa del Carmen 20km

Playa del Carmen to Puerto Adventuras 20km

Puerto Adventuras to Akumal 5km

(using the km markers from mapchicks map of the coast)

To get to Playa del Carmen from VIM you have a few options and the prices increased slightly lately.

- Scheduled daily Shuttle for $18 per person

- $25 taxi ride one way into Playa del Carmen. The taxis are parked near the main lobby and get hailed over by the Attendant. The taxis are regulated and have a zone chart they must charge by so the price will be the same when you catch a taxi back

- Collectivo Vans $2 or $3 and very efficient

VIM is a great resort that suits our vacation needs. Can be entertained at the large pool. Or hang out by the lazy river pool. Has a great beach with a wide roped off swimming area and lots of palapas. Great 24 hour room service and on...

If VIM is the same price as the RIU it is a great option.

Plus its only 20km (about 12 miles) from Playa del Carmen.

just sayin'

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

Victoriabound - thank you for such a thoughtful response! I am leaning towards the VIM.......it's only about 50.00 pp difference!!!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

Your welcome. I have found so much valuable information through this forum. Time to give back. We have been to the area 10 times staying at 12 different resorts and plan on many more holidays there.

VIM has a lots of great photos posted on their facebook page too. Really gives you a feel of the resort.

kelowna, BC canada
Level Contributor
510 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

I would stay with the adults only if possible. Just returned last month from the Riu Palace Pacifico riveria nayarit. Nice hotel but overloaded with kids. We have stayed at the Vim our last 3 trips to Mexico and after a family resort experince...never again...Even though sometimes adults act like kids, there is still no choice for us.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

For me no kids and no restaurant reservations needed and I bet the VIM has oceanview/front rooms available is enough to sway toward the VIM

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
175 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Valentin Imperial or RPRM?

At VIM right now...leaving tomorrow. We won't be coming back. I'll post a full review when I get home, but the short of it... we thought we might like being "out" away from things...not a good idea for us....lesson learned. It really is a hassle and the $ really adds up with going/coming from the resort. We stayed at the Royal Hideaway last year and the location is MUCH better, plus the food is better. I'm not much for kids, but would deal with them if I could be closer to PDC. If you plan to not stay on the resort the whole time, I don't think you'd like being here.